Apple 20 inch

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Are the new 20 inch displays as good as the old ones?

I know they are cheaper, so in this case the price/ratio would be better.

8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sworthysworthy Posts: 71member
    Umm...

The 20" is the same price as it was before. However, the new version is better, both by tech specs (response time is faster) and by features (firewire ports, adjustable, etc).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Currently I use a 20 inch CRT display (an old Applevision).

I am going to switch to a DVI-flat screen, but I am afraid I am having trouble to read small fonts. And since these Apple Displays are widescreen, they are not as high as my current display. This means that an A4-page on screen will be smaller than before. I doubt that the text will be readable for my eyes.

I don't have a problem with the 1024x768 and 1152x 864 resolutions that I am using now.

But I am a bit worried about the optimum resolution 1680 x 1050 of the new 20 inch because I currently have troubles with 1280 x 960 (although I have to admit that my Apple monitor is more than 5 years old...)

I guess it would be better to buy a 23 inch, but unfortunately I don't have the cash for it now...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I recieved new CD20" on friday (07/16/04)... beautiful! I use the previous CD20" at work and I can see no real change to speak of with the display itself, but the foot print...Thank god apple got rid of that plastic crap. It is in only my opinion that a consumer my want to have something flashy like an iMac or eMac but for the power users just give us less flash and something more useable. I am probably a minority here, but I love Apple equipment. As soon as I was shown the power of Apples Hardware and got a taste of OSX I left Wintel and linux far behind. I now can do on a G5 what took two pc's a KVM ect to do. Which brings me back to the CD20", small foot print. I would recomend the CD20" to anyone, in fact my best freind is going to get one for his wintel (I still don't know why he wont switch, but i can respect his wish's).

Thats just my humble bit
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

Currently I use a 20 inch CRT display (an old Applevision).

I am going to switch to a DVI-flat screen, but I am afraid I am having trouble to read small fonts. And since these Apple Displays are widescreen, they are not as high as my current display. This means that an A4-page on screen will be smaller than before. I doubt that the text will be readable for my eyes.

I don't have a problem with the 1024x768 and 1152x 864 resolutions that I am using now.

But I am a bit worried about the optimum resolution 1680 x 1050 of the new 20 inch because I currently have troubles with 1280 x 960 (although I have to admit that my Apple monitor is more than 5 years old...)

I guess it would be better to buy a 23 inch, but unfortunately I don't have the cash for it now...

I think you'll find the Cinema Display easier on your eyes, actually. Text appears much sharper. Also, you can't really compare resolutions between your CRT and the Cinema Display because the Cinema is 100ppi.

I was also concerned about eye-strain and text legibility when I switched to an LCD, but I found that without cathode rays bombarding my eyes at 75HZ, I could sit in front of workstation for longer periods of time.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    the new 20 inch is incredible. there is absolutely nothing they could have done to make it better.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

the new 20 inch is incredible. there is absolutely nothing they could have done to make it better.

999 woulda been pretty sweet
  • Reply 7 of 8
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Hammer Fan

There would be no difference in readability of text. All the new Apple displays are about 100 pixels per inch regardless of size.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Download TinkerTool and set font-smoothing and the minimum font size limit for Safari to what ever you wish. This will solve any viewing problem you might have.