How are you supposed to eject both CD drives?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
About ten minutes after I saw the new PowerMac, I thought - how do you eject both drives? There's the one eject key, which I'm guessing will eject the top drive, but what if you have two drives? Will there be a slightly modified Pro keyboard that has an extra eject button?

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I heard that option-eject will be for the second drive.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    pressing eject on the keyboard might eject both at once. That is what happens with my usb burner and internal cd drive when both drives contain cds to be read and i press eject.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Cosmo ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 12
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Cosmo:

<strong>pressing eject on the keyboard might eject both at once. That is what happens with my usb burner and internal cd drive when both drives contain cds to be read and i press eject.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Cosmo ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

That would really suck. What if you only want one to open? I would hate it.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    its apple folks they have an easy way of doing things i'm sure they have a good way of doing this
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I have a pro keyboard on my G3, when I hit the eject key under 9.2 both the internal and the external scsi drive eject, but I understand that its different in OS 10, but have not seen this first hand
  • Reply 6 of 12
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'm waiting for an answer on this myself. That was one of the first things I thought when I saw the picture of the 2 open drives. Option Eject seems plausable.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent Cooper:

<strong>I have a pro keyboard on my G3, when I hit the eject key under 9.2 both the internal and the external scsi drive eject, but I understand that its different in OS 10, but have not seen this first hand</strong><hr></blockquote>

That happened in OS X too until 10.1.5.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

That would really suck. What if you only want one to open? I would hate it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Worse, what if you have a paper cup full of hot coffee in front of the external drive? :o
  • Reply 9 of 12
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

Worse, what if you have a paper cup full of hot coffee in front of the external drive? :o </strong><hr></blockquote>

who among us dares risk their computer with scalding liquids laying around?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by thuh Freak:

<strong>

who among us dares risk their computer with scalding liquids laying around?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I do!
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:

<strong>About ten minutes after I saw the new PowerMac, I thought - how do you eject both drives? There's the one eject key, which I'm guessing will eject the top drive, but what if you have two drives? Will there be a slightly modified Pro keyboard that has an extra eject button?

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

According to <a href="http://www.macworld.com/2002/08/13/dual.html"; target="_blank">this article</a> the eject key opens the first drive (master?) and option-eject opens the second (slave?).

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: Darren Smith ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 12
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

Worse, what if you have a paper cup full of hot coffee in front of the external drive? :o </strong><hr></blockquote>

the drives are in the middle of the tower... that would have to be one TALL paper cup