REALISTIC suggestions for new iMac 2004

Comments

• Reply 141 of 287
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zab The Fab

True, and that's beyond opinion. They proved it with the first iMac !

I agree but will the greedy bastards at Apple do it? mate a 9700 class video with a single 2.0 G5 and you could have a nice machine but look at the history. removing the L3 out of iMacs G4,going with stale video cards, and then the no upgrade path, giving it a factory only memory slot etc etc. that made sure to handicap and cripple the darn thing the only thing they didnt do was shoot it. I would guess the same bastard that made those decisions is still the same one making the calls now. iMac LCD could have been a fantastic machine given some performance . the rest is history.\
  • Reply 142 of 287
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

As a recent semi-switcher, hoping to be full switcher, I have seen pictures of the current iMac but never seen them in person. I've always liked the design, but today i went into my local Apple reseller and took a look, and i have to say, i love the iMac design. It's smooth, organic and is/can/will be iconic.

I think there alot of people who feel the same as you Maffrew. I didn't like the IMacLCD style at first, but over time you can't deny how ergonomic and iconic it is...it STILL is. You (as a consumer) pay more for the best display ergonomics and the smaller than really necessary footprint. So with better or at least upgradeable (by 3rd party?) internals, I would LOVE to see Apple keep it as they did the crt via the eMac.

However that extra you pay for ergonomics, isn't the largest segment of the market, so I'd go for Lemon's iCube as well .... just have something other than white.

It would be great to go Ice/Metals-other-than-aluminum finally!

I'm droning, but I guess I still hope that the AIO doesn't go away. It is a great solution for many and is the heart of the iMac in my opinion!
  • Reply 143 of 287
    As much as I'd like to see a G5 in there, my money is on a G4.

Most people who buy the iMac don't buy it because it's fast, but because it's cool and different. This is really what makes the iMac sell more than anything, and it's what will continue to drive sales. People who want a G5 will more than likely buy a tower, because it has a G5 and the performance features they're looking for. But not everyone buys power. Performance numbers don't mean as much to the target iMac user as it does to most of us. If it did, then sales would be sluggish and many more people would by buying PC.

They're probably not going to buy an iMac to play Doom3 when it comes out, nor are they going to buy an iMac to start a movie production house, but they do want something that's cool and fun, which is exactly what the iMac is. There's nothing like out there in the PC world, period. I doubt there ever will be anything as cool as the iMac that runs windows, and I've seen a lot of companies try.

My predictions:

New enclosure: This will be the big thing. It will probably have a new feature that's really neat that we can't imagine how we lived without it (like the monitor arm from the last iMac)

1.5GHz - 1.8GHz G4 (maybe as high as 1.8, probably 1.5): Possibly with more cache, but don't hold your breath.

512MB RAM on highest model.

Geforce 5600Ultra again on highest model, 5200 for low-end. Non-upgradeable.

120GB Hard Drive on highest model.

Apple won't let the iMac compete with the G5, so you're not going to see an upgradeable graphics card, nor a G5, nor as much RAM. The iMac is geared to be cool and to do that you need to squeeze as much computing power into as small of a space as possible. Like it or not that is one of the biggest trends in personal computing right now.

The iMac is supposed to be cool; the G5 is supposed to be the powerhouse of the line. I don't see Apple changing that anytime soon.
  • Reply 144 of 287
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giuseppe

Most people who buy the iMac don't buy it because it's fast, but because it's cool and different. This is really what makes the iMac sell more than anything, and it's what will continue to drive sales. People who want a G5 will more than likely buy a tower, because it has a G5 and the performance features they're looking for. But not everyone buys power. Performance numbers don't mean as much to the target iMac user as it does to most of us. If it did, then sales would be sluggish and many more people would by buying PC.

They're probably not going to buy an iMac to play Doom3 when it comes out, nor are they going to buy an iMac to start a movie production house, but they do want something that's cool and fun, which is exactly what the iMac is. There's nothing like out there in the PC world, period. I doubt there ever will be anything as cool as the iMac that runs windows, and I've seen a lot of companies try.

My predictions:

New enclosure: This will be the big thing. It will probably have a new feature that's really neat that we can't imagine how we lived without it (like the monitor arm from the last iMac)

1.5GHz - 1.8GHz G4 (maybe as high as 1.8, probably 1.5): Possibly with more cache, but don't hold your breath.

Apple won't let the iMac compete with the G5, so you're not going to see an upgradeable graphics card, nor a G5, nor as much RAM. The iMac is geared to be cool and to do that you need to squeeze as much computing power into as small of a space as possible. Like it or not that is one of the biggest trends in personal computing right now.

The iMac is supposed to be cool; the G5 is supposed to be the powerhouse of the line. I don't see Apple changing that anytime soon.

don't read much?
  • Reply 145 of 287
    Also, does anyone here think that the 20th anniversary of the Mac will NOT include a killer All-in-One?!?!?!? Something that will look good in a SuperBowl commercial?

Go Packers!
  • Reply 146 of 287
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Quote:

My predictions:

Smart like dirt.

-M
  • Reply 147 of 287
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    You know,

I personally have killed any dreams for a 20th anniv mac. If apple was going to do such a thing I believe it would have happened by now. I would look forward to a 25th anniv mac .
  • Reply 148 of 287
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    Quote:

Originally posted by moazam

Smart like dirt.

And how smart is it to re-post his entire misinformed post?

Not everyone stays totally informed about Apple's stated plans.

• Reply 149 of 287
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

You know,

I personally have killed any dreams for a 20th anniv mac. If apple was going to do such a thing I believe it would have happened by now. I would look forward to a 25th anniv mac .

I know what you mean, but maybe this is another reason for the slow iMac revision?! ...

... okay, back to a world without dreams....
  • Reply 150 of 287
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Maybe people with other expenses can't afford LCD's -- you know kids, braces, mortgages?

However, that doesn't mean that 999 is now the mark for a 17" LCD machine.

I just looked at a Dell flyer under my door.

499 Canadian. Middling performer, Combo drive, 17" CRT.

Compare that to a 1049 Canadian eMac?

Yeah, eMac is a bit better in a few respects, but it's still in a whole other price category -- one where the bundle includes an LCD.
  • Reply 151 of 287
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I didn't like the IMacLCD style at first, but over time you can't deny how ergonomic and iconic it is...it STILL is. You (as a consumer) pay more for the best display ergonomics and the smaller than really necessary footprint.

However that extra you pay for ergonomics, isn't the largest segment of the market, so I'd go for Lemon's iCube as well .... just have something other than white.

I'm droning, but I guess I still hope that the AIO doesn't go away. It is a great solution for many and is the heart of the iMac in my opinion!

I agree with this.

I would love to buy an iMac LCD if the price were right, I bought a Rev C brand new back in the day and my wife and I still love it. It got more ram, a bigger hard drive and an internal burner. Still runs like a charm. But, back in the day the specs to price ratio were great, the iMac LCD's were never even close, this is why I never bought one.

I look to the 3G iMac's for my next machine, hopefully Apple wants me to own one.
  • Reply 152 of 287
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

My predictions:

no one has just said so i will just for you, Apple has allready announced a G5 iMac is coming so get over your I love my slow G4 phobia. Its over. it was over a 11/2 years ago when G4 was at 1.42 and now its at 1.5 do you get this? Moto screwed Apple or Apple screwed itself for staying with the dog for so darn long. P4s can be purchased running at 3.6 so please pay attention even when they are released dual 2.5s will have a tough time vs a 3.6 P4. the last darn thing Apple needs is more G4 garbage thats overpriced and underperforming with clocks from 1999.
  • Reply 153 of 287
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

And how smart is it to re-post his entire misinformed post?

Not everyone stays totally informed about Apple's stated plans.

It's actually quite smart to repost his whole message. That way when he edits it later, the proof will still be there in my message, and my reply won't be taken out of context.

If it's any better for you, I'll send you the .02 cents for the extra bandwidth you used.

-M
  • Reply 154 of 287
    Quote:

My predictions:

Well, sometimes we're not always on top of the whole thing. No offence, but we're are not discussing this, it's what Apple said at their last financial conference!

Apple says their next iMac will be G5 AND that it' will come out in September!

Please, it's ok, we can't all be on top of the news world. That's the way it is.
  • Reply 155 of 287
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member

Giuseppe

OMG...man I had to get off the floor after I realize you posted today. Man, I'm laughing and laughin with ya! Trust..the next iMac is a G5 confirmed from Apple. I think we can take solace in the fact that a lot of us got a chuckle from your post. Life moves fast when you aren't on the boards everyday.
  • Reply 156 of 287
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

Ahem...

Lemon Bon Bon

(PS. Don't put your money on the G4...you'll only lose it, right?)
  • Reply 157 of 287
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

Also, does anyone here think that the 20th anniversary of the Mac will NOT include a killer All-in-One?!?!?!? Something that will look good in a SuperBowl commercial?

Go Packers!

Yeah, I really hope they have another add for Superbowl XXXIX. I'd like it in the 4th quarter, when the Cowboys are having that comeback drive against the Patriots. 8)
  • Reply 158 of 287
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

eMac is a bloated, radiation emmiting, eyeball searing, hunk of retro-tech. Better an average quality LCD than that dog-awful, moire riddled, low refresh, bulky piece of shit.

Matsu, it is you that is a piece of sh*t.

The eMac is the cheapest way to switch from PC to Mac. No, it's not a Porsche, but it gets the job done in a big way for consumers, or dare I say prosumers.

Here's a short list of things consumers do:

Web

Word Processing

eMac easily handles all three, with no viruses or spyware to boot.

Now here's what I do with mine:

iTunes, iTMS

iPod

iMovie

iDVD

Photoshop

Apache, PHP, and MySQL development

Python applications

Citrix for corporate remote access

PGP encrypted e-mail

etc, etc, etc.

You are ignorant.
  • Reply 159 of 287
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormatC2

Matsu, it is you that is a piece of sh*t.

The eMac is the cheapest way to switch from PC to Mac. No, it's not a Porsche, but it gets the job done in a big way for consumers, or dare I say prosumers.

Here's a short list of things consumers do:

Web

Word Processing

eMac easily handles all three, with no viruses or spyware to boot.

Now here's what I do with mine:

iTunes, iTMS

iPod

iMovie

iDVD

Photoshop

Apache, PHP, and MySQL development

Python applications

Citrix for corporate remote access

PGP encrypted e-mail

etc, etc, etc.

You are ignorant.

the true idiot is one who categorizes the uses and needs of an entire market and can't make a rebuttal without making an ass of himself
  • Reply 160 of 287
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    I keep seeing post with people commenting the new iMac should start with 17" LCD. I am only going with my gut here, but it seemed to me that they would push the 20" LCD with iMac. They did not release a 17" CD LCD along with the 20", 23" and 30". I just think 15" and 17" are history with Apple.