iBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I'm gunna get an iBook...but was wondering whether or not I should wait for the next wave to come out. How new in comparison are the G4s and will possibly a G5 be out fairly soon or an improved G4? Just wondering if I should wait, and quite frankly I don't really want to unless it's gunna be worth the wait.

-MM

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I'm in the same position. May I ask why you are choosing the ibook over the Powerbook? I ordered an ibook today, but I'm thinking I should cancel and get a powerbook. I simply cannot decide. This is a painfully tough decision.

From what I have read on this board, G5 notebooks will not be seen in 2004. We do not know when they might appear in 2005. Furthermore, I believe the current ibook configurations were released in April? So, that is not very old. I do not know how frequently they update them.

I would imagine that an update to ibooks this year would simply be a slight increase in the processor speed?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    solerosolero Posts: 30member
    Product: iBook

Last Release: April 19, 2004

Days Since Update: 86 (Average = 155)

Recommendation: Neutral - Mid product cycle

Special Notes: none.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Why ibook? Powerbook=$$$$$$$$$$$ lol

And the ibook fits me better...im not gunna be using it for gaming but mainly microsoft documents, internet, and video/picture editing

btw, for those of u who know, are there ne advantages for iLife for the powerbook vs. the ibook?
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Masterman

btw, for those of u who know, are there ne advantages for iLife for the powerbook vs. the ibook?

Well, unless you get the superdrive on the 14" ibook, you won't be able to use the iDVD from ilife. You need an Apple superdrive to take advantage of that software.

I know what you mean Masterman about the money and Powerbook. It is still a tough decision for me though.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    why do u need the superdrive? isn't its only advantage the dvd burner?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    what i'm thinkin is i'll get the ibook and get some good accessories w/ what money i hav left over...those power books are pricy...but u may not have as tight a budget
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Well, unless you get the superdrive on the 14" ibook, you won't be able to use the iDVD from ilife. You need an Apple superdrive to take advantage of that software.

I know what you mean Masterman about the money and Powerbook. It is still a tough decision for me though.

i have a 12 inch powerbook g4 1.33 combo (one of the new ones), and i use idvd all the time. it works, u just need to save it to a disk and burn it on a computer with a super drive. but u can use the idvd without superdrive.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    reddingoreddingo Posts: 21member
    I'm planning on getting an iBook as well, and am currently waiting a bit to see what will happen as to the updates and whatnot. The iBook is a lot cheaper and has a better battery life than the power book, which are some of my most important considerations.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by moosedude

i have a 12 inch powerbook g4 1.33 combo (one of the new ones), and i use idvd all the time. it works, u just need to save it to a disk and burn it on a computer with a super drive. but u can use the idvd without superdrive.

It has to be a computer with idvd and superdrive? So, a mac in other words? Can you create something in imovie, and use another DVD program on another computer to burn it onto DVD?
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    iDVD is best of breed. if you are burning DVDs i recommend it. if not you can use DVDE studio pro on a mac or encore on a PC...but iDVD looks really great and is easy. There just aren't any good mac alternatives at all.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    ok, well here is what i got to work w/...

I got an HP w/ a DVD writer combo drive and am plannin on gettin the ibook...i don't know if i wanna get somethin as large as 14" but if it is only for the superdrive then is it worth it? Is there ne way to get an external dvd burner for the 12" down the road?
  • Reply 12 of 19
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Don't count on a G5 in the iBook for some time to come. With that said the latest iBooks are nice machines indeed and I would not hesitate to reccommend one to anyone. I have a 700MHz one my wife uses and it's still a great machine.

ps - iDVD does not work with external DVD burners.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    do'h

ok. well, er

so just so things are strait...can iDVD be of any use on iBook w/ only a combo drive and w/ saved data can definately be burned on another computer? cook this somehow be done on a PC?

MM
  • Reply 14 of 19
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

do'h

ok. well, er

so just so things are strait...can iDVD be of any use on iBook w/ only a combo drive and w/ saved data can definately be burned on another computer? cook this somehow be done on a PC?

MM

iDVD can be used on the iBook but you need a superdive equipped Mac to burn the results to DVD. I am not certain if there are other options (others here may be able to correct me ).
  • Reply 15 of 19
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

do'h

ok. well, er

There are workarounds for external burners but you won't have the same ease.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    idunnoidunno Posts: 645member
    i was all set to buy a nice little 12in iBook... because I was going to have to buy a PC to run maya Unlimited... but now with the Maya unlimited coming to Mac, and the G5 iMac's, all my plans are up in the air!!!!!!

Get an iBook.

iDunno.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

There are workarounds for external burners but you won't have the same ease.

Where can I find these workarounds for using external burners with iDVD?

Thanks.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Where can I find these workarounds for using external burners with iDVD?

Thanks.

Check this thread at MacNN:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=205251
  • Reply 19 of 19
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member