Airport Express Security features?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm in the market for an Airport Express this fall when I return to college. I've checked Apple's KB and promo sites and they list that the Airport Express supports MAC address whitelisting as well as WEP/WPA.

This is all nice and good, but what about disabling SSID broadcasting? Does Airport Express support this feature? For that matter, does Airport Extreme?

Any hints/pointers appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 5
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

What in the world was the point of posting that link? Did you actually bother to read my post?

To repeat: I've read all KB articles about Airport Express. I've been through the promo page. It doesn't say anything about disabling SSID broadcasting, which is why I am asking people in the forum if the know whether Airport Express supports it, or whether Airport Extreme does...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nguyenhm16nguyenhm16 Posts: 203member
    Don't have an Airport Express yet, but my Airport Extreme basestations do support disabling SSID broadcasting.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    One thing to note, the AirPort Extreme hardware doesn't support WPA over WDS, so you'll have to stick with WEP if you want to set-up an AirPort Express devices as a relay or remote base station.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nguyenhm16

Don't have an Airport Express yet, but my Airport Extreme basestations do support disabling SSID broadcasting.

Excellent. So there is hope that the Express might as well. I'll be sure to ask someone once they receive their Express here on the boards. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

One thing to note, the AirPort Extreme hardware doesn't support WPA over WDS, so you'll have to stick with WEP if you want to set-up an AirPort Express devices as a relay or remote base station.

I don't plan to use a WDS. I plan on using it as a simple wired-ethernet-to-wireless bridge in my dorm room.