Something I find funny....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At the BART stations, (which is the Bay Area Rapid Transit system...our railway) they developed/created new terminals for purchasing tickets. The old systems were hardware based and out dated but they were operational I would say 98% of the time.

Anyway, shortly before they opened a couple of new stations they brought out brought out the new terminals which are now based on none other than Windows NT! Every station I have been to always has at least two, sometimes even three or four terminals down! Now I am no engineer but I do not understand, other than the fact these are Windows NT based machines, why these would be down so much! Surely if they were running on Mac OS X this would not be a problem!

I really think Apple should get in the market of licensing their OS to this kind of market! With UNIX, Cocoa/Java, Airport, Rendezvous and more this would make a killer terminal/Point Of Sale OS!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    keeperkeeper Posts: 8member
    It boggles my mind as well. I ride BART daily during the work week. 2 or 3 machines out of 8 down everyday is a bad thing. These machines are less than 6 months old!
  • Reply 2 of 19
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    I recall seeing a website devoted to BSOD in airports and public terminals worldwide.

Might try google images for BSOD and see where the sites lead.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Sweet. BSOD everywhere.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    when were these implemented? in the last 2 months? or are they what i used for the past year?
  • Reply 5 of 19
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yes Apple really should own the kiosk industry. Windows simply isn't as reliable. Hasn't been, isn't, probably never will be. Imagine if a kiosk got one of those new Windows viruses where the computer gets it without you even doing anything, except plugging in to the network. Retarded! At U. RI they had touchscreen iMacs to order food from in one of the dining halls. Now they have Dell flatscreens. They have problems. So why did they "upgrade?" Grr.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

when were these implemented? in the last 2 months? or are they what i used for the past year?

Keeper They are what, maybe six to eight months old? I am not sure what you used, aren't you in New York? Or do you mean when you come out here for MacWorld? I do not think they had them in January of this year....I forgot exactly when the roll out was.

Imagine an Apple POS in the restaurant industry....you place an order on the POS....and wirelessly it finds, and prints to the chefs printers. Or go even farther where there could be a que of orders that do not print till the chef presses a button on the screen that says "NEXT" so that if the waiter/waitress needs to make a change they could go into their order before the ticket prints out so the chef gets the most up to date information. And....what about a palm based device running Mac OS X lite with Airport, Rendezvous, and Inkwell where you put in an order and hit PRINT and it sends the order to the chefs printer, or order que? Need to make a quick change? You've got Spotlight to scroll through dozens of orders at light speed.

I agree with you Aquatic. Apple very well could own and dominate this area! It would be the "killer app" for retail/restaurant/kiosk.....anyone want to team up and write a business plan and try to have a meeting with Apple executives?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Why Apple?

Screams 3rd party.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Keeper They are what, maybe six to eight months old? I am not sure what you used, aren't you in New York? Or do you mean when you come out here for MacWorld? I do not think they had them in January of this year....I forgot exactly when the roll out was.

I go to Cal. so, trying to figure out if these are what I have been using for the past year or not
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

I go to Cal. so, trying to figure out if these are what I have been using for the past year or not

Oh okay. Yeah I am sure they are if you have taken BART in the last six months.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    keeperkeeper Posts: 8member
    The main difference between the new machines and the old ones is the big screen. The new ones have a screen say, 16 inches wide. The old mechanical type did not have a screen. It was around the turn of the new year they started putting the computerized versions in place. It was a very slow process and certain stations didn't get upgraded for months. I'd love to see Apple's OS on government processes. It's all very political.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    WHy put an screen on those things if all it has to do is to print 10-20 different tickets. The interface a screen offers an doesn´t make it easier to buy tickets than if you just used plain old ticketing systems.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

WHy put an screen on those things if all it has to do is to print 10-20 different tickets. The interface a screen offers an doesn´t make it easier to buy tickets than if you just used plain old ticketing systems.

Well the actual software is very simple and very functional, it is just that the main OS it runs on is not! I would be interested to know though what programming language the software was developed in \
  • Reply 13 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I really hate BART...

It's like a subway, except trains only arrive every 15+ minutes...and the seats are fabric, so they absorb every bum and sweaty rider's BO.

And the trains howl like crazy.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I really hate BART...

It's like a subway, except trains only arrive every 15+ minutes...and the seats are fabric, so they absorb every bum and sweaty rider's BO.

And the trains howl like crazy.

Yeah, when it all comes down to it I love BART too. I love it when you are in a train and one passes by in the other direction.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    my major gripe about Bart is that it doesn't operate 24 hours. last train at 12:30 is focking ridiculous
  • Reply 16 of 19
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

my major gripe about Bart is that it doesn't operate 24 hours. last train at 12:30 is focking ridiculous

That too... WTF.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Yeah mine too. Don't want to drive into the City to have a night life? Forget about it. I think they should run till 3:00. Bars close at 2:00 in California, and while clubs stay open till 4:00/5:00 which is when BART starts running again (during the week anyway) so this would work out well.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

Yeah mine too. Don't want to drive into the City to have a night life? Forget about it. I think they should run till 3:00. Bars close at 2:00 in California, and while clubs stay open till 4:00/5:00 which is when BART starts running again (during the week anyway) so this would work out well.

it sucks. i go to a lot of concerts in SF. I've had to leave several early just so that I could get back to Berkeley. One time I decided to fuck it and it took me all night to get back via AC transit. I had to leave Gov't Mule's 1000th show early too......sigh....that sucked.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    A taxi back to Berkeley is $40 - $50 bucks. Glad I'm not a student anymore.