HaXXors command line challenge

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As I mentioned in another thread, I have a machine with a dead monitor. I have tried to access files on the machine by networking with a notebook, but apparently file sharing is turned off on the machine with a dead monitor. What I want to do is to boot directly into the command line, and turn on file sharing form there - but remember I have no monitor, so I can't see what I am doing. Does anyone know exactly how to do this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    grafgraf Posts: 22member
    I may be stating the obvious here - but if you have another mac you may be able to copy the files using "target disk mode". If you hold down "T" while you're booting, it turns you mac into an external firewire harddisk, which you can plug into another mac over firewire.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ericeasonericeason Posts: 118member
    This is probably very obvious, but I was wondering why you can't use a different monitor? Is it the video card that died?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Not sure about that. I have a monitor to use, but I need to get an adapter first, and I'm very tight on money. I need the file because I did a few hours work after the last backup, so it would save me a lot of time.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    agallantagallant Posts: 87member
    If you have a nother apple do this.

Connect both the machines via Fire Wire,

boot the good computer first

when you boot the bad computer hold down the "T" key

it will boot as a removable drive on the good computer.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Unfortunately that won't work, as only one of the machines I have has FireWire.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that evryone, right now, should open their 'Sharing' preferences pane and enable 'Remote Login' which starts the hella-secure remote login protocol, SSH. This situation could have been avoided, and on top of that, one can snag files from a remote machine that is not behind a firewall, as well as remote-control it.

If you don't enable it now, at some crucial point in the future when you need this functionality most it will not be enabled and you will kick yourself.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I may try that throught the command line. Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    grafgraf Posts: 22member
    I've been thinking about this, and I can only get so far...

1) Wait for it to boot normally

2) Option - Up-arrow

3) Enter

4) Type ">console"

5) Enter

this then drops you to a command line login, put in the username and password

Then you need to bring up the network interface. Do this with something like "ifconfig en0 192.168.0.2" or whatever you want your IP address to be. But I can't work out how to enable sharing. The best I can do is mount a writable windows share. You can do this with something like:-

mount -t smbfs //GRAF@MACHINENAME/SHARED /mnt

You'll have to make sure /mnt exists, and i prompts you for a password to use to connect to the share. You can then copy stuff to /mnt and it'll appear on your windows share.