G4 - 1.25GHZ Basic Config ships in 1-2 days!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am not sure what to believe, so maybe someone can clear this up for me. I go to the apple store, select the basic configuration for the 1.25GHZ, and yes I know before I select this it shows 6-8 weeks, but when I place the order, it shows 1-2 days, with no alterations. What up?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Please read the title of this forum.

Future Hardware.

Now then, scroll down, you will see a small drop-down menu. Click it. Notice the selection entitled Current Hardware?

Now then, do you really believe that you are buying Future Hardware from the Apple Store, of all places?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>Please read the title of this forum.

Future Hardware.

Now then, scroll down, you will see a small drop-down menu. Click it. Notice the selection entitled Current Hardware?

Now then, do you really believe that you are buying Future Hardware from the Apple Store, of all places?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd say it's in the future. Not sure what you're def is if you CAN'T buy it yet. If it's announced, it's 'current'?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    bsharpbsharp Posts: 64member
    I agree with JRC.

More importantly - Are the basic configurations available sooner than 6 to 8 weeks?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    I didn't know that this was a criticize thread!! I was simply trying to give some info on what I had seen. Though people might be interested in seeing 1-2 days as opposed to 6-8 weeks. Guess next time I see something I will keep it to myself, or for those that don't care to criticize over stupid things.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by dage007:

<strong>I didn't know that this was a criticize thread!! I was simply trying to give some info on what I had seen. Though people might be interested in seeing 1-2 days as opposed to 6-8 weeks. Guess next time I see something I will keep it to myself, or for those that don't care to criticize over stupid things.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dont take it so personally. We are just trying to keep all threads relating to the Power Macs that were announced today in CURRENT Hardware.

Movin on over to Current Hardware...
  • Reply 6 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>

Please read the title of this forum.

Future Hardware.

Now then, do you really believe that you are buying Future Hardware from the Apple Store, of all places?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ha! No they're not Spart. Check the new 'Posting Guidlines".

Quoting from new 'Posting Guidelines' for CURRENT Hardware:

"This area should be used to discuss...hardware that is CURRENTLY SHIPPING" (caps mine).

Nuf said. (Sorry Mods, guess I'm on a 'told you so' kick tonight).

-G

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: 709 ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Back to the issue of this thread. I have read online in a couple places that Mac has not even gotten the 1.25 chips in bulk yet. That would mean you are prolly going to wait at least a month or more...but knowing Apple they could be playing the "worst case" card and you will get it sooner. Definately not in 1 or 2 days though.

Seperate question: What is the damn point of annoucing a new computer that will not ship for 2 months. That is a long time...people on Apple Insider will prolly expect another update in that much time.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    The point was that the other two models (dual 1 Ghz and dual 867) are ready to go NOW. Why make everybody wait another two months just so they can announce that all 3 are shipping at the same time? No thanks, I'm getting my dual 1 GHz early next week, thank you.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    bsharpbsharp Posts: 64member
    Kinda reminds me of the movie, "Tucker," starring Jeff Bridges. Remember how this entrepreneur went up against the BIG THREE with a new, innovative car. He sold them before he built them (even piecing one together before pushing it on stage for a press show). The courts tried to shut him down for selling products that he did not actually produce.

Seems like Jobs has been likened to Tucker before, somewhere. Hmmm.

At any rate, I'd sure like to see the 1.25 before September.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    [quote]Originally posted by dage007:

<strong>I am not sure what to believe, so maybe someone can clear this up for me. I go to the apple store, select the basic configuration for the 1.25GHZ, and yes I know before I select this it shows 6-8 weeks, but when I place the order, it shows 1-2 days, with no alterations. What up?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you get it in 1-2 days let us know, the Apple site still says 6-8 weeks. Maybe they have a limited supply and because of the 6-8 week notification people are not rushing in to make orders. So maybe you lucked out.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Well, I ordered it through the college, as educational, and they were told by the rep that it probably said 1-2 days because they only had so many. I was told I will have it next week. I live in Canada, not that that makes a difference, but if I get it, I will let people know. I also ordered an extra 1.5 GB ram for it, on the side, cheaper then through apple, and a Sonnet Tempo with 2 WD 120GB 8MB cache Hard drives. I really hope this fly's for photoshop
  • Reply 12 of 20
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I think the most disappointing part of the new PowerMac Lineup is simply the LONG WAIT one must endure to get the dual 1.25 GHz model. By then you will probably have posted pictures of the SF MacWorld G4 or G5 PowerMacs. It seems like the longest wait Apple has ever asked it?s most loyal and highest spending followers to cool their jets. I can?t even think about ordering before those models are shipping because of all the technology changes that will have happened by then like a faster SuperDrive (predicted but not announced), 10.2.1, iMovie 3, iDVD 2.2 or 3, iTunes 3.1 etc.

By October we are all going to have MWSF on the top of our minds. But I guess if we have to wait 2 months this time around who knows how long we?ll have to wait for the next generation PowerMac after it is preannounced.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    why does apple continue to "introduce" faster models? Why not just put the fastest in the machines and price accordingly. maybe then they wouldnt get backlogs of stock that they have to run special promotions on. and people wouldnt wait for big events, they would just buy when they needed.

sometimes too much secrecy makes the buyers paranoid about the company.

but i guess apple knows more than me.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    [quote]The point was that the other two models (dual 1 Ghz and dual 867) are ready to go NOW. Why make everybody wait another two months just so they can announce that all 3 are shipping at the same time? No thanks, I'm getting my dual 1 GHz early next week, thank you. <hr></blockquote>

Hey guy go ahead and blow your wad on a new duelie, but know that they are slower than the old Dual Ghz model according to benchmarks on barefeets. But you do get a shiny box!
  • Reply 15 of 20
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Bare Feets, while a nice site, is rather notorious for running rather dubious, skewed, or biased reports in their benchmarking. I like the site myself, but I personally don't think that the Xserve's DDR implementation makes it inferior to the G4's PC-133 SDR system.

And also, the machine that he reviewed was the DP Xserve, NOT the new Dual-1 Ghz G4.

Honestly, would you believe that Apple would release new hardware if they knew it would be slower than the old? Apple may be crazy, but they aren't stupid (well, most of the time, anyway).

In short, don't let that report fool you. The Dual 1-Ghz PM G4 is a great computer, a great bargain that I would recommend to anyone looking for a good all around system. To the guy who got the Dual1-Gig: You made a good choice. I'm *almost* regretting having bought that new iBook the other month.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    It amuses me to no end that when Bare Feats does a comparo that makes a Mac look better than a PC, they're dismissed as sloppy and not serious; but when they do a comparo that makes a Mac look bad all of a sudden their word is gold.

Bare Feats is sloppy, period. Their results are irrelevant - no matter how closely they happen to correlate to your beliefs - because their methods aren't rigorous.

Now, if Mike Breeden weighs in with the same conclusion, I'll start worrying.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    personally I wouldn't be complaining about owning a new dual 1ghz powermac that may be 1% slower than the last one, its $1000 cheaper with better all round internals. What dorks!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There's a troubling bit in another thread where the guy from barefeats responded to some testing concerns by saying he didn't try it on the DDR mac yet.

If he hadn't tried it on the DDR mac yet how did he get the result? I have a funny feeling he might hve just extrapolated base on his Xserve findings.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Also, I agree that the models ought to be judged relative to what they replace.

I've no doubt that the DP867, 1Ghz, and 1.25Ghz are significant improvements on the SP800, SP933, and DP1Ghz which they each respectively replace.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    All the more reason why the Bare Feets benchmarks shouldn't be taken at face value...

As said on another thread, I think the review of this system on xlr8.com should be more credible.