State of printing in OSX improving?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Part of not fully adopting OSX more quickly than I normally would has to do with the poor handling of printing documents.

Now it could be just the third party driver's fault. But HP has usually pretty reliable stuff. Every update from their website has yet to solve a simple problem such as saving a preset print window.

Maybe it's crappy old Appleworks 6, but since day one of OSX to my current 10.2.8, it will always jump to the default and print colour, even if I've selected black and white only.

Now perhaps Panther has made advancements and I presume Tiger will even further.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Nup HP's drivers still do it. I really have no idea why but even if you save different settings, for instance I have draft, standard, photo, etc type settings it will open with that setting but have altered it so you'll have to deselect and reselect it. It's a bit annoying.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Printing is still a bit suss, but it's quite usable. There are interface quirks that I'd like to see resolved, though.

The print dialogue box never seems to remember that I like B&W printouts. I have to set this everytime.

Plus, (especially in AppleWorks), the window pops up in the centre of the screen, and when I choose Print Settings from the pop up button, the window grows in height, and the bottom of the window goes off behind the Dock and off the bottom of my screen. To click Print when I'm done, I have to drag the window up so my mouse can reach the button.

It's still hard to believe that for an OS that is about 4 years old, this still hasn't been fixed yet... m.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Have you saved your preferences as a set? If you don't tell it to save them, it doesn't (a good idea in my opinion).

And on the window placement, that is an AppleWorks (or other application thing).
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    I'm having printing nightmares!

Finally got a G5 in the office to unseat the Dell. But printing has got me dogged!!

I've been trouble shooting problems with Illustrator and PDF on our networked Color laserJet HP 4550N for three days straight. This really sux because I have a large project I'm working on that I need to use that printer for. That project was suppose to be done today and I can't even print out what I have!

My only choice right now is to save my multi layer Illustrator doc in outlines, export from Illustrator CS to Illustrator 10 and then send it to the Dell where I open it up and print. Unfortunately I am still editing this doc and need to print to see my layout so I'd have to do this each time. The export isn't seamless so I need to tweak the 12 layers each time on the Dell.

That's the HP 4550N. The LaserJet 2100 won't print at all. It's a Windows shared printer. My Mac sees the printer, sends the file over, it is seen in the Print Que on the XP box for a sec, then disappears with out printing.

I've talked with Apple on both issues. They have no solutions. With the 4550N I talked with Adobe who blames HP for flaky PS support. HP said my document was too large. It was 350MB but now I've even separated layers out to print an individual 6MB page and I still get Memory errors. No memory errors on the XP box printing illustrator files larger then this one.

I'm going to call HP back today maybe and see if there are any work around or driver options.

This Friggen SuX hard!!!!!!!

How do you say "Up shits creek..."

• Reply 5 of 10
    Wow that sucks for you

350MB is a pretty big document!

I thought you could save to PDF. In that case, you would be able to print it from the Dell without any tweaking.

I printed to a shared network printer from my Mac not too long ago. It just took a while to figure out how to set it up.

Good luck!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tink

I'm having printing nightmares!

Finally got a G5 in the office to unseat the Dell. But printing has got me dogged!!

I've been trouble shooting problems with Illustrator and PDF on our networked Color laserJet HP 4550N for three days straight. This really sux because I have a large project I'm working on that I need to use that printer for. That project was suppose to be done today and I can't even print out what I have!

My only choice right now is to save my multi layer Illustrator doc in outlines, export from Illustrator CS to Illustrator 10 and then send it to the Dell where I open it up and print. Unfortunately I am still editing this doc and need to print to see my layout so I'd have to do this each time. The export isn't seamless so I need to tweak the 12 layers each time on the Dell.

That's the HP 4550N. The LaserJet 2100 won't print at all. It's a Windows shared printer. My Mac sees the printer, sends the file over, it is seen in the Print Que on the XP box for a sec, then disappears with out printing.

I've talked with Apple on both issues. They have no solutions. With the 4550N I talked with Adobe who blames HP for flaky PS support. HP said my document was too large. It was 350MB but now I've even separated layers out to print an individual 6MB page and I still get Memory errors. No memory errors on the XP box printing illustrator files larger then this one.

I'm going to call HP back today maybe and see if there are any work around or driver options.

This Friggen SuX hard!!!!!!!

How do you say "Up shits creek..."

I take it that your file is a single-page 350 MB file? HP printers tend to be dog slow compared to the competition. HP also no longer does real PostScript. Having said that, I'm with HP on this one. Well, actually I'm going to tell you something that HP can't: I know nothing about your document. However, I cannot imagine a scenario in which a competent graphic artist would generate a 350 MB file. By my calculations, a full-bleed 300 dpi uncompressed raster image--something like a BMP file--requires 32 MB on 8.5" x 11" paper. Your file is more than 10 times the maximum required for letter sized paper. My guess is that your skill level is not going to improve anytime soon. In that case, what you can do is to save your Illustrator file as a raster image. Print the raster image.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

I take it that your file is a single-page 350 MB file?

A4, 1200 dpi comes out around that size.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    ^^

I think that was Mr. Me's point. 1200dpi is a little excessive for proofing on a laserprinter AND even for final art, don't you think?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    If your trouble shooting, just try printing ANYTHING off your mac. Open text edit and print a sentence. If it is Photoshop, then try printing a very small image - around 500kb.

You can also try selecting the printer in "page setup" - I find leaving it default can cause problems some times. Good luck.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    for all hp drivers

look at http://hp.sf.net

since unix/linux/osx are all using cups

the relevant ppd's are on that page & supported by hp