Problems with iSight - help please

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was online last night attempting to talk to my GF via the iSight. She uses a PC with a Logitech webcam (which includes a mic - or so it says on the box anyway) that I purchased for her. Therefore, we have to connect using AOL IM v. 5.5. Both she and I have broadband connections.

We were having some technical issues and I was wondering if anybody here could help me out.

1) Her video on my side was not clear at all. Initially it would focus properly and I could see her very clearly however, once she started to move (she likes to wave her hands when she talks) the picture degenerated very quickly and was very grainy with large pixels.

2) She could hear my audio coming through her speakers (there was an echo - probably because the camera/mic was too close to the speaker) but I could not hear her through the Powerbook speakers. I know the mic on her side was picking up her voice because her voice was echoing on her side as well. I tried to adjust the settings on the Powerbook but according to the manual, I had everything correct.

3) My video on her side was relatively clear until I moved my head or something. Then it got grainy before it settled down again.

We ended up having our conversation via cellphone while watching the picture on the screen. This is not why I purchased this system. Any technical advice? BTW, would a RAM upgrade on her side help? I found out last night she only has 64MB (and she's running Windows XP!). I know she should upgrade anyway, and she will, but the question is, would the RAM upgrade affect the video quality?

My cousin just bought iSight and I'm going to test out my system with him to see if it makes a difference.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    XP with 64MB of RAM better be a joke.

Do a DSL speed test to figure out if you really have the bandwidth.

I use iChat to talk to my friends across continents regularly. No issues here.