newbie questions galore.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
well, i decided to make the jump from windows to macs last year, and got myself a 15" powerbook. so far, everything is running pretty smoothly. but i have a few questions that probably have been discussed many times over, but i cannot, for the love of god, locate any of these threads. mmm so here they are. thanks in advance.

1) is there any way i can see thumbnailed images within finder? seeing a list of "jpg" icons with numbers doesnt help me much.

2) in iphoto, is there any way i can change my base directory of my library? i tried the whole renaming the iphoto library folder and things like that but its not cooperating. see, i have ALL old pictures in the main picture folder, in order by date. i suppose i COULD just move all of that from ~/pictures to ~/pictures/iphotolibrary/albums but i'd rather it all just be in the former and allowing me to access it in iphoto. heh. i guess im not explaining this very well... but hopefully you guys understand?

3) is there any way to go from image to image... like a back and forward button within preview?

4) my house is currently networked with a wired router. if i get a wireless access point, everything should work, no?

i think thats about it.... thanks again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fly at tree level

1) is there any way i can see thumbnailed images within finder? seeing a list of "jpg" icons with numbers doesnt help me much.

- In Finder choose Show View Options from the View menu.

- Check the Show icon preview checkbox
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

3) is there any way to go from image to image... like a back and forward button within preview?

Use the Page Up and Page Down buttons in the toolbar or use Command-Left Arrow key or Command-Right Arrow key.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

2) in iphoto, is there any way i can change my base directory of my library? i tried the whole renaming the iphoto library folder and things like that but its not cooperating. see, i have ALL old pictures in the main picture folder, in order by date. i suppose i COULD just move all of that from ~/pictures to ~/pictures/iphotolibrary/albums but i'd rather it all just be in the former and allowing me to access it in iphoto. heh. i guess im not explaining this very well... but hopefully you guys understand?

- Quit iPhoto

- Move the contents of the iPhoto Library folder to where you want

- Relaunch iPhoto

- Click Find Library...

- Find the folder and click Open

I think this is what you want to do :/
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

4) my house is currently networked with a wired router. if i get a wireless access point, everything should work, no?

Need more info on that one. Do all the machines have wireless cards?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

- Quit iPhoto

- Move the contents of the iPhoto Library folder to where you want

- Relaunch iPhoto

- Click Find Library...

- Find the folder and click Open

I think this is what you want to do :/

thanks for the replies. what files of iphoto am i supposed to move? the files like iphoto.db , dir.data, and thumb32.data ? i have all my images directly in the ~/Pictures folder right now, and i want to keep it there?

Quote:

Need more info on that one. Do all the machines have wireless cards?

i have a wired network with two windows xp desktops right now. so the machines dont have wireless cards and i would prefer not to have to buy wireless hardware for them. i just want this laptop to be wireless.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

thanks for the replies. what files of iphoto am i supposed to move? the files like iphoto.db , dir.data, and thumb32.data ? i have all my images directly in the ~/Pictures folder right now, and i want to keep it there?

Sorry, with this reply i do not understand the question anymore

Though, as far as i understand you do just want to have access to all your "old" pics (which are stored in the "picture folder") through iPhoto?

What about simply importing your pics with iPhoto?

There is no need, - and not even recommended - to move your pics into "album" folders manually, in order to watch them in iPhoto. iPhoto itself does the job. And why would you move the "library"? I don't get that part. Or did i confuse somehing?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

- In Finder choose Show View Options from the View menu.

- Check the Show icon preview checkbox

Sometimes that works, yes. Generally, I assume there are different jpgs preview formats. (But why???) Sometimes the finder previews jpgs correctly, sometimes not. And i am not the only one, hm...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Sometimes that works, yes. Generally, I assume there are different jpgs preview formats. (But why???) Sometimes the finder previews jpgs correctly, sometimes not. And i am not the only one, hm...

JPEG is a standard format with a couple of subtypes.

Baseline - generic (default) format.

Baseline Optimized - slightly superior to standard... may include smoothing.

Progressive - rather than scan in from top to bottom line by line (usually too fast to see anyway), progressive JPEGs appear in rough form and subsequent passes (usually 3 or 5 passes) add detail and improve the resolution.

Purists may argue that JPEG2000 (with lossless compression support) may or may not qualify as a 'standard' yet.

JPEGs have a quality slider that alters the compression ratio from a minimum of about 2:1 savings (lossy) to a maximum of almost 100:1.

If the JPEGs are built to meet the standard, Preview should open them with no problem.

JPEGs that don't display properly are usually due to file corruption, rather than Previews inability to parse the standard format headers and data.

Details on the JPEG format and additional readings can be found here

If you can't view the JPEG in Preview (or the Finder version of preview), drag it into a web browser window. All modern browsers support the standard JPEG types, so you can use it as a 2nd opinion test of whether the problem is with Preview (doubtful) or just a bad JPEG (much more common)
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

... If you can't view the JPEG in Preview (or the Finder version of preview), drag it into a web browser window. All modern browsers support the standard JPEG types, so you can use it as a 2nd opinion test of whether the problem is with Preview (doubtful) or just a bad JPEG (much more common)

Oh well, thank you very much for all hints.