Internet Access

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So I was just on my powerbook running 10.2. I use wireless internet and I was walking to another room and lost my internet connection (though still connected to the LAN). I checked my preferences and nothing had changed. Restarting didn't help. Trying a wired connection didn't help. Other computers (mac and pc) are having no troubles getting onto the internet. I had 10.3 laying around so I'm currently updating my powerbook to see if that would help. Otherwise, any other suggestions?

[edit]: Now it refuses to even see the wireless or lan connections.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I have seen a similar problem but it was quickly fixed. Walking out of range with my PB I would lose the network connection. Coming back in range did not let it reconnect. Seems I had to turn airport off then on or something similar.

Your case sounds more difficult.

If you open the Network control panel what do you see? Is it self assigning an IP address?

When you are connected to by Ethernet, select the Ethernet connection in the network control panel then select the TCP/IP panel.

I am guessing you have it set to Using DHCP. Try setting it to manual, type in some bogus IP address (192.168.255.254 for example). Click the Apply button. Give it a second to find out that this is bogus. Now go back to Using DHCP and click Apply. I have seen cases where things got stuck and doing this would clear them out.

Another thing to try is to power down all of your network devices (router, modem, base station) then power them back up.

By the way, I'm using 10.3.4 so some of the naming conventions used might be a little different from 10.2 on your computer.