Setting Up Unix Server (SW&HW)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Which Unix operating system should I use to setup a server on my old 9600/200MP? Is Yellow Dog linux a good choice, if not which one. and how does it install, just like Mac OS? Are there any extra useful apps?

One more, would keeping the dual 200Mhz chips be best for a server, or get a 400mhz processor upgrade?

This will host my website btw.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    What kind of traffic are you looking at? It would be premature to upgrade your CPU unless you hit its limitations. Network infrastructure would be something to look at.

Linux is good if you set it up the right way. Most of the hacks work on Linux due to bad configuration. It is the most vulnerable in that aspect.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Not much traffic, only about 30 hits a day.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Yeah, give YDL a shot.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Does YD have everything already included to set up a web server?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I used YD for years on an old 9600 MP. It's an excellent machine for linux.

YD will come with everything you need. If not, installing packages is much easier than it used to be, and probably something you want to acquaint yourself with anyway.

May I also recommend Webmin, which is an excellent web-based configuration tool that makes it easy to configure all sorts of network services, including DNS, Apache, SAMBA and many more.

I've used Webmin to manage Linux, Solaris, and even Mac OS X servers(before Panther server). It's great because you'll be able to run your box headless once you get webmin installed and you won't have to worry about messing with text files.