450mm Wafers coming.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
X-Bit labs report

Quote:

?We think 2012 would be the year for the 450mm wafers, so we need to start discussing it pretty soon, in the next six months. We need to start planning,? said Paolo Gargini, the Intel Corp. director of technology strategy who serves as the chairman of the International Technology Roadmap for Semiconductors (ITRS) at Semicon West in San Francisco, California, EETimes reports.

I can only imagine how expensive this transition will be. I'd expect only the largest foundries to attempt the transition. 450mm wafer representing a %50 increase in size would benefit the Intels and IBMs out there as long as they can crank out chips. Keep in mind they're talking about 2012 I imagine we'll be at 45nm or less by then. A 450mm wafer is going to crank out a lot of chips.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    2012.I can't even imagine, what computer will we have.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

2012.I can't even imagine, what computer will we have.

Hmmmmmm

Powermac X

8 core CPU 20ghz per core

16GB quad core GPU on starlink(2 Terabyte throughput)

80" OLED display

18GB of RAM(400GBps) dammit Apple being cheap again

Blu Ray+ 4 layer optical(100GB per layer)

4 Terabyte HD on Magibus link(fictional but 1200MBps)

System is on 6GB non-volatile memory

24/bit 192Khz Digital I/O

Wifi 88g(range of 500ft 200MBps throughput)

God how am I going to tell my son my first Mac was 16mhz LC without getting laughed out the house?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

450mm wafer representing a %50 increase in size would benefit the Intels and IBMs out there as long as they can crank out chips.

It's actually a 125% increase in area. The wafers are circular and that size is their diameter.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

God how am I going to tell my son my first Mac was 16mhz LC without getting laughed out the house?

The same way I'll have to handle showing my son what a floppy disk is, and explaining to him that at the time, 1.4 MB was huge. Then I'll really fry his brain by showing him the original Mac that I have. He might look at me a little confused when I say to him it runs at 7.2 MHz (I think).

• Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Telomar

It's actually a 125% increase in area. The wafers are circular and that size is their diameter.

Holy smokes you're right. But wouldn't it be %150 increase? A=pi*radius^2

These are going to be really expensive fabs.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:

Holy smokes you're right. But wouldn't it be %150 increase? A=pi*radius^2

These are going to be really expensive fabs.

It's (3^2)/(2^2) = 9/4 = 2,25 more surface.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

80" OLED display

Why on earth would you want such a beast? a 20" Cinema Display would be much better... at 600dpi.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gamblor

Why on earth would you want such a beast? a 20" Cinema Display would be much better... at 600dpi.

With scalable UI it'll be easy to view at any size. OLED or technology like it will be ultra thin. Tack it up on the wall and badda-bing you're all set!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    I imagine computers and screens will be everywhere in the home and office. You just point your keyboard at the screen you want use at that particular time and your'e away. Or am I thinking of 2025?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mike Eggleston

The same way I'll have to handle showing my son what a floppy disk is, and explaining to him that at the time, 1.4 MB was huge. Then I'll really fry his brain by showing him the original Mac that I have. He might look at me a little confused when I say to him it runs at 7.2 MHz (I think).

What happened to 400KB floppies and the 8MHz Mac Plus. 25MB HD cost $300.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I hope we still have 1-button mice by 2012.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    In my first computer class in college they passed around memory - in a cup. It was little magnetic disks that were hand wired. The university did have a hard drive on their computer - 10 megs that cost $100K. Today is the future for old farts like me.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm definitely going to have to find and preserve my first computer: a Timex/Sinclair 1000. 2K of RAM, baybee!

The prizes in cereal boxes will be able to run rings around that old machine by 2012.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I'm definitely going to have to find and preserve my first computer: a Timex/Sinclair 1000. 2K of RAM, baybee!

The prizes in cereal boxes will be able to run rings around that old machine by 2012.

I am ready to bet that you will not have to wait for 2012 for that one
  • Reply 15 of 16
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,561member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

In my first computer class in college they passed around memory - in a cup. It was little magnetic disks that were hand wired. The university did have a hard drive on their computer - 10 megs that cost $100K. Today is the future for old farts like me.

The computer I used at my first job was a minicomputer with 16k words of core memory (iron cores). I took it out of that machine, wrote a simple assembler in hex then wrote a small interpreter. The I/O was a hex keypad I built and and a teletype printer. Storage was on paper tape.

I can't even imagine 450mm wafers. We're struggling with 300mm wafers now. Of course, I understand they have to write the road map. Whether it will ever come to pass or not is another matter.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    4 TB harddrive will be too small. When people are going to start ripping HDTV and HD-DVD en masse, and the complete iTMS catalogue is on the loose on the P2P-networks...