problem connecting a mini dv camcorder to my g4...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
i have just brought a Sony DCR-HC18E Digital Camcord and have not been able to use it on my mac g4 quicksilver.

do i need to install drivers?

the instructions say i should be able to just plug and play?

as i am quite new to mac's it could be something simple

i am overlooking?

cool, i would appreciate any help

regards

dylan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    mslifkinmslifkin Posts: 66member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dylanvanl

i have just brought a Sony DCR-HC18E Digital Camcord and have not been able to use it on my mac g4 quicksilver.

do i need to install drivers?

the instructions say i should be able to just plug and play?

as i am quite new to mac's it could be something simple

i am overlooking?

cool, i would appreciate any help

regards

dylan

Dylan,

How are you trying to connect the camera (ie. which port on your G4)? Also, what operating system are you running on your G4? And, finally, what software are you using to capture your video? Answer these questions and someone will be able to help you, maybe even me!

Regards,

Marc
  • Reply 2 of 3
    it SHOULD be as easy as pie... and it is if you're using iMovie as your importing and editing program. If you're still on OS9, then things are considerably more challenging.

If you are using iMovie, then you need to find the iLink port on the camcorder and plug the firewire cable into it... should be a tiny squarish thing. iLink is Sony's name for firewire. The other end goes into the quicksilver's firewire port (on the back, there are two just underneath the ethernet). It won't fit into anything but the correct port.

Then, turn on your camera... in VCR mode, launch iMovie, look in the lower right corner for a little camera icon and a little film icon -- click the selector button to the camera side and voila, you should see the words "camera connected". Then just use the iMovie controls to control your camera.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    hi

firstly thanks for the reply, really appreciate the help.

i think the problem was i was trying to use a usb

cable, there was no mention of a firewire cable in

the cameras instructions.. typical.

thanks again for the help.

dylan

Quote:

Originally posted by KWSN_hgs

it SHOULD be as easy as pie... and it is if you're using iMovie as your importing and editing program. If you're still on OS9, then things are considerably more challenging.

If you are using iMovie, then you need to find the iLink port on the camcorder and plug the firewire cable into it... should be a tiny squarish thing. iLink is Sony's name for firewire. The other end goes into the quicksilver's firewire port (on the back, there are two just underneath the ethernet). It won't fit into anything but the correct port.

Then, turn on your camera... in VCR mode, launch iMovie, look in the lower right corner for a little camera icon and a little film icon -- click the selector button to the camera side and voila, you should see the words "camera connected". Then just use the iMovie controls to control your camera.