Open source gains popularity in Europe

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A few months ago, the city of Munich switched from Windows to Linux, and so did the city of Bergen (Norway). The German government encourages switching to open source (i.e. Linux). The Belgian government recently decided the same for their computer park. Now this week, the French department of Traffic moved from Windows to Linux, and the city of Paris is thinking of doing the same. And there are a lot more projects I don't know about, I'm sure.

Is this a domino-effect, the beginning of the end for Windows (servers, mainly. But some are also talking desktops) ? Or is it just a drop on a hot plate ? What's the situation everywhere else in the world (Brazil goes open source too, I believe and here's a CNET article of today about Asia ).

If you know of more examples from governments or very large companies who are switching this way, drop a line.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    This is great for Mac users. Microsoft has two large weapons that go bye-bye when linux is chosen. No windows of course and no .doc. Apple continues to straddle Opensource and Closedsource just fine. It's about time to make a move.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    In a reaction on the Paris case (15,000 pc's), Microsoft offers a 60% rebate on all their software if Paris changes it's mind. The grapevine is even talking about 80%, because M$ absolutely wants to avoid the Munich-debacle (and others).

'My God ! They're beginning to think for themselves ! We must do something ! '
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I recently read in a John Dvork article(take that for what it's worth) that MS offered and Office License for $40 while bidding against Sun's Staroffice. MS is definitely feeling the pinch. Governments everywhere are looking at Linux as a viable option. It only makes sense. Why should a Gov who are beholden to their people choosing proprietary tools. It's not their job to keep MS in the black
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    As much as I want these anecdotes to be indicative of a widespread trend, I'm not yet convinced.

Many sites are also installing MS products for the first time.

The question is, what's the overall trend?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

As much as I want these anecdotes to be indicative of a widespread trend, I'm not yet convinced.

Many sites are also installing MS products for the first time.

The trend is that, where in the past servers were switching from Unix to Windows or were just using Windows from the start, they now often reverse from Windows to Unix. It's a relatively minor trend, but it is new.

The latency in this issue are:

1. software and re-engineering costs from migrating from MS to Unix

2. resistence from IT-managers who hate to leave their cosey, little MS environment and jump in a Unix world they don't know.

It's a mentality, unfortunately mostly from the people in charge. I know from one companie with a fairly large IT-department who's engineers love Linux and almost all would like to switch (including the board), but are stopped by one (1) IT-manager who is afraid to make his feet wet.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. -- Ghandi

We're currently at stage 3.