Airport security issues

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am brand new at Airport, and just set up a wireless network in my little home business. How do i know if someone is picking on my network, or connecting to it one way or another? Is there a software that shows me that or something?

Thank you.

OS 10.3 G4 PB 17"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    You should just limit access to those Airport/wireless PC cards that you authorize in advance.

At home I have 3 macs and 1 PC, I typed their Airport card number (aka MAC address) into the access list into the Airport Admin Utility.

This way no other computers can get on.

I also turned off broadcasting the name/info so it shouldn't show up on scans.

Use a different password for admin than you use for access.

Also turn off remote admin, so that you have to physically plug into the Airport hub to administer it, if you are super security-minded.

And of course use 128 bit authentication.

Sorry I don't have the stuff in front of me for exact terms but the gist of it is if you do those things there's far less to worry about.

Only downside is if a new computer enters the scene that you want to be able to use your network, it's awkward, you'd have to plug into the hub and add their ID...not a big problem though. Worth it in my opinion.

One thing though is that resetting the Airport hub is trivial, so keep in mind where the hub is, if someone can get their hands on it it can be reset and all your secure options can be tweaked as they see fit and you might not even notice it. So keep it in a locked room, or else your kid etc. could open it up to the whole neighborhood.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I also recommend using WPA over WEP. For more info on the topic see these links:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wire...12/18/wap.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access