New Airport Express - also DVD-Movie sound streaming?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Folks,

i consider buying a new Airport Express station anyway.

Though, i'd like to know, IF that box streams DVD-Movie soundtracks

too, OR is that box limited to iTunes streaming only?

thanks in advance

and have a nice day

(i put it in "software", because i think the question is software related.

IF someone consider that question rather "hardware" related, then ... moving of course)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Currently, it streams ONLY iTunes Audio, and ONLY iTunes AUDIO, movie preview audio played through iTunes does not stream to Airport Express, but iTMS content does. Apparently, audio streaming is tied to iTunes and does not carry throught to quicktime or anything else.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Currently, it streams ONLY iTunes Audio, and ONLY iTunes AUDIO, movie preview audio played through iTunes does not stream to Airport Express, but iTMS content does. Apparently, audio streaming is tied to iTunes and does not carry throught to quicktime or anything else.

i guess that optical 5.1 option steve mentioned is all but useless then \
  • Reply 3 of 7
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

i guess that optical 5.1 option steve mentioned is all but useless then \

Well, S/PDIF isn't only used for multi-channel audio. If I'm going to connect my AirPort Express to my A/V receiver, it might as well be with via TosLink.

And then there's the prospect multichannel AAC in the coming versions of iTunes/QuickTime.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Well, S/PDIF isn't only used for multi-channel audio. If I'm going to connect my AirPort Express to my A/V receiver, it might as well be with via TosLink.

And then there's the prospect multichannel AAC in the coming versions of iTunes/QuickTime.

yes. but, at the WWDC Steve specifically said something along the lines of "or you can even use an optical cable for 5.1 surround"

just think it's funny, since you can't.....as of now
  • Reply 5 of 7
    drbcelldrbcell Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

yes. but, at the WWDC Steve specifically said something along the lines of "or you can even use an optical cable for 5.1 surround"

just think it's funny, since you can't.....as of now

But you CAN do 5.1 surround from iTunes right now with the Express - you just have to turn off all "special effects" in the prefs (cross-fade, equalizer) and set the volume slider to max, but if you can find 5.1 surround (DD or DTS) on the web (there are a few free downloads as demos), then, if you're connected by optical to a receiver that does DD or DTS (I have a Pioneer Elite 49TXi), the surround sound is fantastic - the receiver shows it's decoding DD or DTS and indicates it's 5.1 and you can HEAR IT. I just wish there was DD 5.1 available from ITMS - one problem might be the size of the downloads - some of the demos are 250 Mb and a 3 minute song is 20-50 Mb.

Regardless, it's fun streaming the 3 or 4 things I've found from my 12" PBG4 while sitting on the couch!
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    It does 5.1? Whoah. I'm just about ready to go the HTPC route now. Place the computer near my project and go wifi for the sound to my component rack.

With such a large distance between my projector and receiver, lengthy wire runs become a problem. Now... if they could make a video wifi product (even at standard def) I'd buy one of each the day they're announced.

Then, and only then, will we have a true digital hub.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DrBcell

But you CAN do 5.1 surround from iTunes right now with the Express - you just have to turn off all "special effects" in the prefs (cross-fade, equalizer) and set the volume slider to max, but if you can find 5.1 surround (DD or DTS) on the web (there are a few free downloads as demos), then, if you're connected by optical to a receiver that does DD or DTS (I have a Pioneer Elite 49TXi), the surround sound is fantastic - the receiver shows it's decoding DD or DTS and indicates it's 5.1 and you can HEAR IT. ...

These are pretty darn news. All these possibilities, i can imagine for now.