my new iPod has arrived!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
UPDATE: i have, naturally, picked it up already, so now the obligatory unpacking photos!

well I thought maybe ordering my new iPod online was a mistake, as it supposedly wasn't going to be here until monday; but, lo and behold, it already came this morning while i was asleep! i accidentally had them deliver it to my old dorms up in milwaukee, where i lived until May; but I still work at school anyways, so I'll be picking it up in about two hours! wee!

incidentally, here are the shipment results; they're pretty amazing. FedEx is GREAT; it came from Shanghai to Milwaukee in just over 24 hours. I don't even think I chose the fastest shipping mode. Note that the times for the first day are a bit goofy as they are local to wherever the package was - 9:42 PM on Wednesday in Shanghai was 8:42 AM local Milwaukee time. So in US Central time terms, it took from 8:45 AM yesterday until 10:15 AM today to go from Shanghai to Anchorage to Indianapolis to Milwaukee - color me impressed!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Congrats. You didn't order Fed Ex shipping? I never do but usually Apple has upgraded my shipping for free when they are made the day of the announcement. I am hopeful it will happen this time as well but no biggie if not.

Incidentally, I just received an email today from Apple saying my order which was to have shipped today will instead ship within the next 24 hours. I ordered for the whole family - 4 iPods - and got the free engraving so I kind of expected a delay.

Have a great time with your new possession.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    oh i'm having a ball already, thanks.

i initially placed the order because i wanted to see how long it would estimate to ship - i could have easily gone to a retail store to get one if it would have been quicker. when it appeared it would be a dead heat, i kept the order - but i hadn't chosen expedited shipping when i originally made it. incidentally, i also had an old address on file that had been attached to the order. i didn't look closely enough at the shipping address.

by the time i got around to calling them to upgrade the shipping and change the address, the order had already gone into processing and couldn't be changed. i was a little (though pleasantly) surprised that it had happened so quick.

anyway, i was told that all the stores in chicago and milwaukee (i live right in between) wouldn't be getting them until yesterday or today at the earliest anyway, and i'm not sure if they did, so getting it today worked out just fine.

and congratulations to you as well - the whole lineup, wow! they better expedite your shipping on that order.

i didn't go for engraving, mainly because i was too anxious and couldn't think of anything good to put on it.

good luck, hope your shipping gets expedited - not sure if they deliver saturdays, but if they do, here's to a saturday of iPoding!

8)
  • Reply 3 of 22
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I know they all look alike, but I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of your new toy!

My G4 ipod shipped on Wednesday, actually left China today (Thursday, but I don't know when I get it. I'd love to get it Friday, but I'm guessing it will be Monday. I had engraving, so it probably slowed it down.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    no shipping beats my powerbook shipment: taiwan to indiana in a day
  • Reply 5 of 22
    there are some rather grainy unpacking pics linked from the first post in the thread, added in an edit, in case you missed them; i'll post a few more, higher quality ones in the morning...

EDIT: and yes, taiwan to indiana in a day is amazing; although i must say that, sleeping late, i was rather surprised to wake up to find that it had gone from anchorage to me (well, almost) in 12 hours!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I just received my second email of the day from Apple. The first said it would later than originally stated but would ship within 24 hours.

Now they are saying that it will ship on or before July 28. Wow. And I ordered as soon as the store came online with the new iPod lineup.

Oh well. This seems to be the way it always is. Hurry up and wait.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by FromnyMakesFilms

there are some rather grainy unpacking pics linked from the first post in the thread, added in an edit, in case you missed them; i'll post a few more, higher quality ones in the morning...

EDIT: and yes, taiwan to indiana in a day is amazing; although i must say that, sleeping late, i was rather surprised to wake up to find that it had gone from anchorage to me (well, almost) in 12 hours!

Yes, I did miss the picture link the first time. It was very cool to see the new packaging as well! Thanks!
  • Reply 8 of 22
    WAY TO GO FROMNY...
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

WAY TO GO FROMNY...

hah, thanks, filmmaker. hey, i thought you weren't supposed to post on these boards anymore, given your... current state of employment. heh. well, i won't tell anyone, anyway. hope you're enjoying your new toys as well -

- believe it or not, people, this guy got a BRAND NEW iPOD and an Airport Express IN THE SPACE OF TWO DAYS!

i bet somebody's in a good mood this week...
  • Reply 10 of 22
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I'm not in the market for one (I have a mini which is doing fine) but the local CompUSA had 4 20GB and 4 40GB in stock. Said they sold one of each so far.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    gibagiba Posts: 99member
    So is the new iPod made in China now
  • Reply 12 of 22
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Okay, quick question. My birthday is this Thursday, and my only birthday wish is a new iPod. So the FedEx truck comes today and drops off a small, cube shaped box. My parents head to WalMart, I find the box. It's relatively inconspicuous, but for the shipping address being Elk Grove, CA - I know its from Apple. My only concern is the red caution tape wrapped around the box, with a big STOP sign on it. It says something to the effect of 'check and make sure the contents is not broken'. New 4G iPod owners, have your iPod boxes been wrapped in the same red caution tape, or should I be concerned??
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by giba

So is the new iPod made in China now

If you want to get technical, it says on the back that it is"Assembled" in China, yes...
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Okay, quick question. My birthday is this Thursday, and my only birthday wish is a new iPod. So the FedEx truck comes today and drops off a small, cube shaped box. My parents head to WalMart, I find the box. It's relatively inconspicuous, but for the shipping address being Elk Grove, CA - I know its from Apple. My only concern is the red caution tape wrapped around the box, with a big STOP sign on it. It says something to the effect of 'check and make sure the contents is not broken'. New 4G iPod owners, have your iPod boxes been wrapped in the same red caution tape, or should I be concerned??

This is something that I see quite often with technical/electronic devices being shipped today. I don't know exactly what it means, but I think one thing I've seen on the tape has said to make sure the box looks in good order and not opened too, before you sign for it. I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. Shush!!! Pretend you do not know about the box (and try to forget about it), so you can be surprised! My G4 ipod is going to arrive this week. I can't wait. I hope you enjoy it! Have fun!
  • Reply 15 of 22
    God I love exciting threads like this, can't wait for my glorious 4G 20 GB!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by NittanyLionTosh

God I love exciting threads like this, can't wait for my glorious 4G 20 GB!

Same here. I ordered mine the Wednesday before last, and at the time I ordered a 3G 15 gig. I was going mad last Saturday when I found out about the new ipod, but I held to the hope that the "upgrade policy" published on Apple's site would mean I'd get the new one. Well, on Monday morning I received the email saying I was upgraded to the new 4G 20 gig.

It will be nice to know that we'll have the current ipod, but those 3G are great too.

I have engraving on mine, so it didn't ship until this past Wednesday, and it didn't leave China until Thursday. It is now close me though, and it will be delivered on Monday if everything goes as planned.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    gibagiba Posts: 99member
    I'm also waiting for my new 20GB 4G. Has anyone noticed any problem or bad things with the new iPod so far?
  • Reply 18 of 22
    No problems here! Check out some of the unpacking pics.

http://homepage.mac.com/untitled5/PhotoAlbum29.html

• Reply 19 of 22
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    That's real sweet! Check out that cool box! Man, I really want one :-)

C'mon guys sign up for freeipods.com using the link in my signature so I can get a free ipod! I can't afford one, but I really want one
  • Reply 20 of 22
    My ipod has arrived!!!

For three weeks in June, I had a third generation 15 gig ipod, so I'm still getting used to the new click wheel. To be honest, I think I might have preferred the third generation. I liked that the wheel on the third generation did not stick up at all. However, I like the fourth generation too. I need to get used to it, but everything it does is the same, so I love that.

If you have a third generation, I don't see any great reason to get the fourth generation. However, I now have a fourth generation, and I do really like it.

Wow, I have my ibook and ipod. I won't have anymore exciting Fedex Apple deliveries for some time. \