Panther/OSX 10.2 will not install

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I've got a B/W G3 500 mhz with 256 Ram, 20 gig IDE hard drive, 100 meg zip and a 52x cd-rom. Some sort of junk ATI video card that im too lazy to tear out and see what kind it is. When I install any version of OS 10.2 or 10.3, the install goes smoothly for the first disc, and then when the computer restarts, it displays the grey screen with the apple in the middle as usual, but instead of loading, the apple changes to a circle with a line through it (dont know what it's called, but you've probably seen them in no smoking signs and the like). Anyhow, what is going on here? I'm a PC guy, and I'm used to error messages and support knowledge bases (which im not finding anywhere on apple.com), so I'm a bit frustrated. If someone can give me an answer, I'd be rather greatful. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Look on Apples website about Firmwire updates for your computer. I'm pretty sure that's all it is.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    this computer has had 10.2 before. when 10.2 wouldnt install I got panther, but it doesnt work either. the only hardware change has been from a 40 gb maxtor hard drive to a 20 gb western digital wd drive. its new, and i checked it in my PC, loaded linux on it with no problem.