if iomega releases a product, and no one cares...

rokrok
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
...does it ever really exist? now there's zen for ya.

case in point, the new <a href="http://www.iomega.com/na/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=391603&amp;FOLD ER%3C%3Efolder_id=432677&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=63 191&bmUID=1029456360273" target="_blank">zip 750</a>.

wow, so i can get yet another drive, that only offers limited support for the 20+ zip 100's i bought and still use, yet uses media that's approximately the same size as a cd-rw disc, for a several times the unit cost. hmmm...

you know, there was a day and time when the zip 100 was poised to replace the floppy drive, but iomega somehow forgot about fast networking and recordable cd technologies surpassing them when they slept.

for the record, i have also had two zip drives succumb to the dreaded "click of death."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    ...and nobody cares that the Zip is gone from the Powermac. I don't know why I ever got one in the first place. I never used it once I got my CDR.

If you've got Iomega stock, now's a good time to sell
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Yeah, sell it!

I had an Iomega HipZip? MP3 player. It looked cool and all that...but after about a week, the disk got stuck inside and no amount of prying could free it. It's a good thing Amazon has such a good return policy.

-Mike
  • Reply 3 of 5
    yeah, the Zip is dying a slow painful death. it used to be the industry media of choice. it still is in some applications, like frequent back-ups and the workflow of some graphic professionals. but it's being quickly, if not already, replaced by other media and networking, like rok said. i used to hear about the Zip drive everywhere i went, the computer store, my friends, trade shows, etc. now, it's like no one ever knew what it was. it's kind of sad...it reminded me of the good ol' days of the Mac...in 1997 with clones, etc...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    We've been discussing this for a few days <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001271"; target="_blank">over here.</a>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    whoops...

Alcimedes edit:

was going to let this die a natural death, but it kept cropping up. please see the linked thread for this topic.

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>