Graphic Converter question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all, question about the excellent image viewer/editing app, Graphic Converter.

I do play around with some editing, but mostly I just want to view images. Graphic Converter has settings that will stretch or shrink an image to fit the screen, but I can't seem to find one that will black out the rest of the screen so that by DEFAULT an image will open in slide show mode.

Back in the old OS 9 days, I used pixelcat for this sort of thing. I'd say about 80 percent of the time, I just want to double click on the icon and have it open to use as much of the screen as possible, and black out the rest.

I'm aware that you can achieve this effect AFTER opening the file, but that requires extra keystrokes, and seems unnecessary.

Please respond if you can help. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    leppoleppo Posts: 66member
    Ack, sorry about that. I saw other questions in the software section so I posted there, despite the nagging feeling that genius bar was the way to go.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Don't worry about it - that's why we are here
  • Reply 4 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I don't know how to do this in one step. Try to open and image first then type the key combinations Command-G.

Under the Picture menu this is called Full Screen.

I believe it displays the current picture the same way you would see it in the slide show.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I don't know how to do this in one step. Try to open and image first then type the key combinations Command-G.

Under the Picture menu this is called Full Screen.

I believe it displays the current picture the same way you would see it in the slide show.

Yeah, that's just the thing. I can do it that way, but it seems to me that a product as robust as GC should allow the user to set a default option that would display it that way automatically when the file was opened. PixelCat did that, and even crappy ACDSee does it. Thanks anyhow though. I wonder if there is a script or something I can get, dunno.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    How about sending feedback to the developer, Leppo? He has been very responsive to user feedback over the years. I'm sure other users would find this helpful as well.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

How about sending feedback to the developer, Leppo? He has been very responsive to user feedback over the years. I'm sure other users would find this helpful as well.

Yes, that's basically the next phase of my plan. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious, or perhaps not so obvious. In addition, I went to the official site and noticed they are selling user manuals for 10 bucks and quite frankly was concerned that my contacting the developer would just open up a new sales pitch. I didn't want have to spend 10 bucks to learn how to activate such a simple feature.

As things stand, it looks like the feature isn't part of the present feature set, so I'll go ahead an write the suggestion. I find your comments about the developer's responsiveness very encouraging. Thanks again.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leppo

Yeah, that's just the thing. I can do it that way, but it seems to me that a product as robust as GC should allow the user to set a default option that would display it that way automatically when the file was opened. PixelCat did that, and even crappy ACDSee does it. Thanks anyhow though. I wonder if there is a script or something I can get, dunno.

I have emailed the developer asking for an AppleScript command to do this. No luck so far. Maybe I'll try again.

My thinking on this is that GC is more of a tool than a presentation program. That is why the priority is to open images in windows as this gives you full access to tools from pallets and pull down menus and such.

I keep an icon for GC in the dock. To look at images I drag a folder of images and drop it on the GC icon in the dock. This opens the images in the image browser. I can select one or more images either in a block or use command click to select a discontiguous group of images. Next I click the slide show icon. Now I can view the images full screen and I have a small tool bar available for deleting bad pictures.

This might be a faster method for you than first opening an image then choosing command-G. Open a folder in the browser by dragging it to the GC icon. Click one image then click the slide show icon. You can also control-click on an image in the browser and choose "view in slideshow".
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by neutrino23

I have emailed the developer asking for an AppleScript command to do this. No luck so far. Maybe I'll try again.

Wow, great! Let us know if you do hear something. I was gonna wait until my new dual 2.5 G5 came, as it comes with GC and I haven't registered it yet. I felt weird being a 'not yet' button pusher and writing them for favors.

Quote:

My thinking on this is that GC is more of a tool than a presentation program. That is why the priority is to open images in windows as this gives you full access to tools from pallets and pull down menus and such.

Yeah true, but why have a separate viewer is what I'm thinking. GC is a great tool, but I only use it as a tool, say, about 80 percent of the time. The rest is for viewing. It makes no sense that such a powerful robust program wouldn't have such a simple and easy to implement feature.

Quote:

This might be a faster method for you than first opening an image then choosing command-G. Open a folder in the browser by dragging it to the GC icon. Click one image then click the slide show icon. You can also control-click on an image in the browser and choose "view in slideshow".

Yeah, I've tried this before. I guess I'm just lazy or picky, but I think such a simple tweak should be available.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Try This

Launch GC.

Go to "preferences" in GC8)

When the window opens click on "General/Display Content"

Set the size to whatever you want there

Hope it helps
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by high_desert_mac

Try This

Launch GC.

Go to "preferences" in GC8)

When the window opens click on "General/Display Content"

Set the size to whatever you want there

Hope it helps

Umm, yes, I can get it to be a certain size, that I know how to do. What I want is it to center the image and black everything else out like it does in slideshow mode by default, without the extra keystrokes. I thought, perhaps incorrectly, this was made clear in my original question. \