A Couple More Questions...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm sure by now you all must be sick and tired of my questions, but, switching from Windows to Mac (money issues aside) isn't going to be total smooth sailing for me. So, I have a few more questions:

1) I'm now planning on connecting my Canon S520 to my Windows XP box. My Mac and Windows box will be connected via 802.11g router. I'm pretty sure that I can print from my Mac to the printer, but can I use the advanced features (epecially borderless printing)

2) I'm not a huge supporter of Microsoft products, but I hear that Microsoft Office 2004 Mac is great. Is it slow, is it worth it? How stable is it? I'll be using it on a 12 inch powerbook, probably. (I use OpenOffice/Wordperfect on my XP machine - and I'm not too comfortable with Openoffice on OS X)

3) I use Corel Draw 8 (ancient, I know) for school projects/posters/pamphlets, etc. Is The Paint Shop for Mac OS X a suitable replacement?

4) Once feature that I like about XP *gasp!* is the preview feature of images, and the fact that once can print directly from preview. Is there such a feature in Panther?

Thanks so much again. This is certainly one of the better forums on the net!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    1. No clue on how feature-full the driver it, but it does support borderless in 10.2/10.3 according to Canon:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...1&modelid=6611

2. Worth it if you need Office compatibility... I'm using Office X, seems to work fine for me.

3. Dunno

4. Not too sure on what this is referring to... IIRC when you open an image in XP it comes up in Windows Picture/Fax Viewer. Images open up in Apple's Preview application, and you can print from it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hailing

4) Once feature that I like about XP *gasp!* is the preview feature of images, and the fact that once can print directly from preview. Is there such a feature in Panther?

i assume you mean in the finder...... the answer is...sort of

in the finder you can use column view which will provide a small preview in the far right pane. if you wish to print this image straight from the finder you could set up a desktop printer and just drag the file to the desktop printer icon and it'd print.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hailinghailing Posts: 12member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by MCQ

[B]1. No clue on how feature-full the driver it, but it does support borderless in 10.2/10.3 according to Canon:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/con...1&modelid=6611

I suppose what I was wondering was, even though the printer is shared through a XP box, does OS X still use the Canon driver? If so, that's exactly what I think I need.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

I'm sure by now you all must be sick and tired of my questions, but, switching from Windows to Mac (money issues aside) isn't going to be total smooth sailing for me. So, I have a few more questions:

1) I'm now planning on connecting my Canon S520 to my Windows XP box. My Mac and Windows box will be connected via 802.11g router. I'm pretty sure that I can print from my Mac to the printer, but can I use the advanced features (epecially borderless printing)

1. Yes. If you configure your file sharing correctly (no big deal on a Mac)the mac should see the printer as a shared or networked printer. Drivers are there already.

Quote:

2) I'm not a huge supporter of Microsoft products, but I hear that Microsoft Office 2004 Mac is great. Is it slow, is it worth it? How stable is it? I'll be using it on a 12 inch powerbook, probably. (I use OpenOffice/Wordperfect on my XP machine - and I'm not too comfortable with Openoffice on OS X) [/B]

2.I hear it's OK-bloated as hell, but OK

Quote:

3) I use Corel Draw 8 (ancient, I know) for school projects/posters/pamphlets, etc. Is The Paint Shop for Mac OS X a suitable replacement?

[/B]

3. Try "procreate Painter Classic" ( comes bundled with WACOM tablets) Better yet, if you want to spend the cash; Adobe offers some incredible apps that make Corel Draw look inept.

Quote:

4) Once feature that I like about XP *gasp!* is the preview feature of images, and the fact that once can print directly from preview. Is there such a feature in Panther?[/B]

4. Ironically called "Preview". You can also import into "iPhoto" and print directly from there