Bourne Supremacy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just came back from "The Bourne Supremacy." It was alright, though somewhat formulaic.

Pretty cool action movie + sequel = movie with light plot and lots of action.

The plot in Bourne Supremacy was weakly held together, but it was entertaining. The only big complaint is that the cinematography technique used in the action sequences was very shaky, sort of the way it is in the "Evil Dead" series, but much more frenetic and less silly. It was very tough being in the 4th row.

Anyway, after 5 minutes I knew I was going to enjoy myself, as Bourne's woman was killed off, and it meant that there wasn't going to be any baggage for the rest of the movie. That's what Bourne Identity was all about, and I'm glad they didn't just rehash that all over again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Thanks for the spoiler. I always confuse Franka Potente with Mark Wahlberg.

I haven't seen it yet, but I did enjoy the first installment.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

I just came back from "The Bourne Supremacy." It was alright, though somewhat formulaic.

Pretty cool action movie + sequel = movie with light plot and lots of action.

The plot in Bourne Supremacy was weakly held together, but it was entertaining. The only big complaint is that the cinematography technique used in the action sequences was very shaky, sort of the way it is in the "Evil Dead" series, but much more frenetic and less silly. It was very tough being in the 4th row.

Anyway, after 5 minutes I knew I was going to enjoy myself, as Bourne's woman was killed off, and it meant that there wasn't going to be any baggage for the rest of the movie. That's what Bourne Identity was all about, and I'm glad they didn't just rehash that all over again.

It's unlikely they'd rehash the same plot, as the character and plots are based on a series of novels by Robert Ludlum. You may already know that, but a lot of people don't, so sorry if it's redundant info.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Bah. Way to slip in a spoiler with no warning.

• Reply 4 of 12
    hardheadhardhead Posts: 644member
    Ya gotta give "SPOILER WARNING" dude! Ahhhhh...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    nevermind.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

I always confuse Franka Potente with Mark Wahlberg.

I think you mean Matt Damon. Franka Potente is the girl. German. Run Lola, Run.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Was Bourne's "training mission" to kill the "outspoken" russian oil industry privatization opponent a legitimate CIA mission? Was it just a side-mission to enrich those rogue CIA chiefs (the Brian Cox and Chris Cooper characters)? Was that a Ludlum sub-plot point or was the book written before the fall of the Soviet Union and the privatization of the Russian economy?

Hmm.

Oh yeah-- mindless action film, seemingly filmed by a TS afflicted 13-year old. I enjoyed it.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I liked it, not quite as much as the first one, but it was still done very well, and the action was good. I think the only problem I had was my fault, I went into it expecting a payback type revenge flick, but it really wasn't that, so my expectations were misplaced. The plot was weak and kind of pointless, but it wasn't a big deal, it was still entertaining.

Man, that camera work though...Some of it was bearable, but there were some scenes I actually started to feel a little dizzy.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

I think you mean Matt Damon. Franka Potente is the girl. German. Run Lola, Run.

• Reply 10 of 12
    Saw it opening night, and enjoyed it even more than the first film. I have a few theories to the camera techniques that were used and why, but I don't want to get all "pretentious film analysis" sounding. Sufficite to say, I thought the camera techniques were great. Many people in the audience seemed to respond to parts throughout the film, and the plot was better than most other films out in the theatres this summer (I'm discounting art-house theatres).

But the action is top-notch, the locations great, and the overal film is sexy not because of the actresses, actors, scenes, or plot, it's just a well done action film compared to so many $100 million+ blockbusters that are always shyte.

(*edited* $100 million blockbusters that are shyte, but not necessarly unfun to watch sometimes. )
  • Reply 11 of 12
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    I took the wife to this film on sat. and I could not have been more impressed. The whole film was refreshing from the standpoint that there was no gratuitous fighting that ended in a complete ass-kicking followed by a martini on the rocks. All of the fighting or get away scenes resulted in Borne being visibly shaken up. Both Damon & the director did a good job of making this character seem realistic. This obviously played into the directors decision to use hand-held cameras for a shakey almost chaotic effect durring the fight and chase scenes. All and all I thought it was extremely well done and enjoyed it even more than the first one. I doubt anyone who enjoyed the first one would be dissappointed.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i thought the bourne supremacy was better than spider-man 2. (minus the shaky camera--when are people gonna realize that a shaky camera is annoying and not always 'artistic'???)