Powerbook question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Can you connect a new Cinema Display, Apple Keyboard and Mouse to the 17" PowerBook, and then close the lid and continue using it?

Or does the machine automatically go to sleep as soon as you close the lid?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    a10t2a10t2 Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Can you connect a new Cinema Display, Apple Keyboard and Mouse to the 17" PowerBook, and then close the lid and continue using it?

Or does the machine automatically go to sleep as soon as you close the lid?

With an external display connected the Powerbook will stay awake.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Cool, I think I've just found the solution to my freelance/desktop replacement problem then!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a10t2

With an external display connected the Powerbook will stay awake.

Actually, not quite. When you close the lid, the PowerBook will go to sleep. However, you can then keep the lid closed and hit a key on your external keyboard (or mouse) to wake it up. This is called "clamshell" mode.

Every time you wake up your PowerBook, it checks to see which displays are open/connected. If the lid is closed, it will just run off the external display. If the lid is open and the external display is connected, the PB will use both ("spanning" mode). If the lid is open and no external display is connected, it will obviously just run with the internal LCD.

Sorry to be a stickler. Just wanted to avoid any possible confusion.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    There is also this discussion going on in the Genius Bar for more information...