Can I use the isight-cable for an external HDD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Can I use the Firewire Cable that came with my powerbook to transfere files to another Powerbook using Firewire Target disk mode?

I'm asking, because most other firewire cables have almost twice the diametre. Will it hurt the cable?

Thanx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    No problem. This is a standard FireWire 400 cable as made and sold by Apple. They make them in various lengths. I have splurged and bought a few of them to replace the bulky ones behind my PowerBook. Much nicer!

Elena

Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

Can I use the Firewire Cable that came with my powerbook to transfere files to another Powerbook using Firewire Target disk mode?

I'm asking, because most other firewire cables have almost twice the diametre. Will it hurt the cable?

Thanx

• Reply 2 of 2
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    It most certainly won't hurt the cable, but I remember people reporting noise issues with the iSight firewire cable. The reason the others are so thick is because they have more shielding against noise. I don't know if these issues have been solved, but if you are transfering important stuff I might just go with the thicker cable just to be sure - with an iSight, noise makes little difference... but with a computer document one wrong bit could completely corrupt a file.