Should I get the Nvidia Geforce 4TI ?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Now that I've decided to stick with my 933Mhz Powermac and get OS X 10.2, do you think getting the Geforce 4Ti video card to replace the MX version would be a smart upgrade to use with OS X 10.2?

I would hope that by utilizing Quartz Extreme, it would provide at least somewhat of an increase in performance that I could really see.

I already have 1024mb of memory so I'd appreciate your opinions on this idea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I wouldn't buy a video card now.

Wait for a few more months until the Radeon 9700 for Mac is available. Maybe until then nVidia's GF5 will also be released and then you can still see which card is better.

The GF4 Ti right now is only an overpriced, yet already outdated card.

Of course you could also get a Radeon 9000 Pro or a 8500 even. both cards offer good performance at reasonable prices.

G-News
  • Reply 2 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't think that's a wise move.

You won't get much better performance out of the 4Ti unless you are running a really big display or 2 displays.

From what I've read it's a frame-rate monster but not much else. For games: once you get between 30-60fps, you're not really going to notice much improvement.

For QE? hmmm... I think the upcoming cards with much more versatile programability might be a more interesting proposition for serious work under QE.

There's nothing out right now that your 4MX won't run satisfactorily. No point upgrading now for minimal effect.

At the very least wait untill we get some conclusive reports about different video cards under QE.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    you could try to find a dealer that still has gf3 cards and flash it on a pc.

go here for instructions: <a href="http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm"; target="_blank">pc geforce -&gt; mac geforce</a>

btw. anyone know if this works with gf4 cards too ?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quartz Extreme is not going to tax a gf4mx to its max. You won't notice a difference between a gf3, ati 9000, ati 9700, gf2mx, gf4mx or gf4ti. The difference will be in game and 3D performance, not QE.

...i know you can flash pc ati 8500's, pick one up for $90.

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: serrano ]</p>