Upgrading Powerbook video card, how and is it worth it?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the video card from the 64MB to the 128MB post-purchase? I have had my PB 15" 1.5 for a while and I am thinking of upgrading, but not sure of the benefit and not sure of what is involved if I do want to do it.



Can anyone shed light on this for me? I am experienced with case modding PCs and have no problem opening things up, but is this even an option? And does anyone feel strongly if this is worth it, especially for gaming?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 5
    AFAIK, it is not possible because the video chipset is soldered onto the system board. \
  • Reply 2 of 5
    imantaimanta Posts: 29member
    So then what are people's thoughts on whether it is really worth it or not. Speaking from the PC side a 64MB GF4200 always performed faster than a 128MB, but then again you had more memory for newer games with memory requirements.



    Anyone have experiences with both and care to comment?



    Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    nguyenhm16nguyenhm16 Posts: 198member
    Easiest way to upgrade PowerBook video is to buy a new PowerBook
  • Reply 4 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    NO. Cannot upgrade VRAM after the fact.



    As for performance benefits of the 128MB vs the 64MB version of the Mobility 9700 or the 5400RPM BTO drive vs the stock 4200RPM version in the 1.5GHz 15" Albook, Barefeats matches them up and votes that it is worth spending the extra $ for each, if you're considering some limited futureproofing.



    YMMV.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Is 128 worth upgrading for now by selling your 64? In my opnion, no.

    If you were asking advice before purchase next week, I'd say sure.



    2005 will see new PBs, possibly G5 and Mobility 9800 (see threads discussing it)



    The minor bump in GFX you'd see isn't worth the price hit you'd take reselling yours, especially if you'd then be kicking yourself 6 months from now, wanting to do it again for significantly better bump.



    I'd say wait until MWSF if you can.



    Even if the sketchy rumour of 2GHz G4s in one final rev in Oct/Nov are true, it's the same boat.



    I've been holding off on the purchase of a similar machine, and had decided the 128MB version was worth it (anticipating Tiger's Core Image may love VRAM), but I don't need it yet, and figure waiting may bring rewards.
Sign In or Register to comment.