HD LCDs = HDTV?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to be deciding between the 23" LCD and the 30" LCD soon and have a question about the "HD" designation. Please don't flame as I know *nothing* about HDTV/HD other then it's a very nice digital signal TV or something.

So my question is, can I use these displays as HDTV displays? i.e., Can I use them standalone to watch fancy TV? What do I need, some sort of receiver? Where does the TV cable plug into the monitors (I dont recall seeing any TV looking ports on these LCDs)?

Or, does this "HD" designation on these LCDs have nothing to do with HDTV?

Thanks

-M

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    It does mean High Definition....the HD designation indicates (I THINK...someone correct me if I am wrong) that the display exceeds a certain resolution. If you wanted to watch TV on the monitor, you would have to get some sort of TV tuner card to install in the computer (probably in a PCI slot) that can accept an HDTV input. I imagine they must exist, but I do not know who makes them off the top of my head.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

It does mean High Definition....the HD designation indicates (I THINK...someone correct me if I am wrong) that the display exceeds a certain resolution. If you wanted to watch TV on the monitor, you would have to get some sort of TV tuner card to install in the computer (probably in a PCI slot) that can accept an HDTV input. I imagine they must exist, but I do not know who makes them off the top of my head.

So I'd still need a computer if I wanted to use this as a TV then? I could not just buy a HD receiver and plug that in?

-M
  • Reply 3 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Still need a computer.

And one of THESE

Of course they didn't come out with this when I started building my HDTV recorder.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Ebby, are you saying an HD set-top box with a DVI port wouldn't work?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Depends what kind of DVI the set top box has. Most of the time it won't work. Nice of them to give things non ambiguous names aye?

To confuse matters more, I have a DB9 output (monitor plug) on my HDTV tuner but can only do standard def (480p) when connected to a computer display.

Some LCDs have the circuitry neccessasry to accept a HD signal (1080i or 720p). These displays will be clearing marked and boasting about being HDTV compatible.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    fowler.fowler. Posts: 16member
    Anyone know if thats a real display on the EyeTv site, or a fakie of some sort?

Also, I've heard that there is a lag time if you hook up an Xbox to that thing. Anyone know anything about that?

n/m, reading their faq is always a good idea.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    utsavautsava Posts: 53member
    If your not absolutely tied to getting the Apple Display, I'd recommend the HP L2335. Its the same 23" LCD panel as the Apple, but has component, composite and S-Video inputs too. Essentially making it an HDTV monitor. AND it can be had for less than $1600.

Theres tons of screen shots and info about it here:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=757963
  • Reply 8 of 10
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I'd have to disagree, and note that I don't think this is a SAMSUNG HD display, and that the quality is probably not close to Apples. Apple used to get first pick on all screens from SAMSUNG, (hundreds of millions in investments in your company will get you that) and I believe that is still the case. So even if it were a SAMSUNG HD Display chances are it's still 2nd rate quality behind Apples.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I did a little bit of research and found that it's not a Samsung display. It's actually a Danish comany called Eyegonomics (or something similar). The 24" is around $3500, which is grossly out of my budget. And for that price, one could get a 30" display w/ the card.

I was just curious anyways.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Apple panels are from LG-Philips, not Samsung.