Has the Apple fixed a fundamental iPod issue yet?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
My 3G iPod still can't play a mixed CD without a half second silent gap between tracks. Is there any sign of this seemingly simple trait getting fixed? It bugs the hell out of me.

Similarly, the iPod doesn't even technically fully support iTunes without the crossfade feature. What's stopping them working these out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    negative

my 4G iPod 40gb has the same problem

so i can delete "Dave Clarke - World Service" and "Richie Hawtin - DE9 : Closer To The Edit" from my playlist
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    so what's the big problem with getting this fixed?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    AAC doesn't support gapless playback. So if they fix this issue it will have to be via some sort of trickery.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    To crossfade you need to be playing two streams at once. This is a difficult and resource hungry task on limited hardware and provides little gain in functionality so I doubt it's at the top of anyone's TODO list.

I think Nero and FAAC support some kind of gapless AAC, though I'm not sure how standard it is. But I've heard (and never cared enough to confirm) that the iPod can't even play lossless (ALAC, WAV, AIFF) files gaplessly so it's not just an MP3/AAC thing.

By the way, I dispute that this is a fundamental iPod issue, but meh.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    it's fundamental because you can't listen to a large number of albums the way they were supposed to be heard. I have a lot of mixed CD's and they're useless on my iPod.

For such a wonder-gadget, I feel it falls significantly short on a basic function that my old CD-walkman had no problem with.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    If you do not want gaps between songs in a mixed CD just import the CD as one song using the "Join CD Tracks" command.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=150269
  • Reply 7 of 10
    and then you can't skip to a specific track on the CD. Still flawed.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    I know it is not perfect but I'd rather fast forward or rewind to the song I want than having gaps in a mixed CD.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    This is extremely bothering.

I also have many mixed CDs ..... and iTunes *sorta* plays them right.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    If you join two tracks as one, you can still set up chapters like in audio books. Then I believe it's seamless. Making an AAC file 'chapterable' requires a simple file rename, but I can't remember the new extension.

I have not tried this myself, but look it up and give it a try. If it works feel free to report back because I'm curious but lazy.

This is probably as close as you'll get. You would still have to go through two (or more) clicks to get to a specific song, but it's better than nothing.