Replaced the wife's iBook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

Well, my wife's 600MHZ G3 iBook apparently couldn't withstand a water spill. The computer was closed and the water did not spill directly on it...or so we thought. We wiped it off and that was it. But, stupidly, we did not open it up to see water had gotten on the keyboard. It wouldn't boot for days, even after dry time. So, I took it to the Apple store in KOP (PA) and they said "ummm yeah, it looks like the logic board, and Apple cahrges a flat $699 for that repair."

So, I said "Umm...yeah..time for a new 'book" (unfortunately, my wife dropped the same 'book earlier this year, causing me to have to replace the hard drive. That was a nice way to spend $100).

Long story short: We ordered a 1GHZ 12" G4 iBook. I decided not to upgrade the RAM because she uses it lightly. The only additions were an Airport Extreme Card (see my other thread) and Apple Care. Should be here next week. She was running Panther pretty well on the old one...I'm thinking this should run it much faster.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I have the same machine, but I put a 512MB stick of RAM in it. I really think you should consider adding a stick of RAM to it at some point. Even a 256 stick, I'm sure she would notice the difference.

It is a nice machine. I'm sure she will like it.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Can you have your wife repaired?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    They in an "as is" condition. No user serviceable parts inside either.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bborofkabborofka Posts: 230member
    Just curious, why did you get the 1GHz model? Did you get it used?

I got my 1GHz 12" PB earlier this year and it has been great. Aside from the crippled video card I have no complaints.