.11g ADSL Router buying advice needed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I've had an Apple Airport Extreme (non-modem) and an Alcatel Speedtouch Pro for while now but they've recently started playing up - losing network connection as random time (for multiple machine). I've tried getting to the bottom of this but it's driving me nuts. So I thought I might get a combined .11g ADSL router to do both jobs, I also need at least one ethernet port on the router. I've looked at the Linksys WAP56G and it looks ok but what other products should I look at? I've seen some dlink and netgear ones but I want one that's easy to configure from a Mac, ideally with nearly-automatic-configuration.

So, what should I buy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    They are all easy to configure on a mac. Get the cheapest one. Just make sure it has a web interface, ie: you go to an url (192.168.xxx.xxx) to set it up.

They will all work out of the box. The trick is actually to get it to reject everyone else but you, ie: enable security features (MAC address filtering, encryption, both of which can be cracked pretty easily).

Has it occurred to you that your problems may lie with your ISP and not your hardware?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    Have you looked at the NetGear DG834g?

http://netgear.co.uk/html/prod_routers_adsl.htm#dg834g

I've set up a couple of these bad boys, they're nice and easy to configure (through a web interface) and tend to work hiccup-free.

Best of all they're pretty cheap at the moment (Amazon have it at a really good price).