iMac G3 Settlement

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I finally got my settlement from the class action lawsuit against Apple for the G3 + OS X debacle. I chose the $25 coupon from the Apple store. It must be redeemed by 1/17/05 and used only on the online store for Apple branded hardware or software, not including ITMS (d'oh). Not bad, but it took long enough to settle everything.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    what was the deal? I have read that a lot of people run jaguar and some even run panther on imacs.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    To make it brief, Apple promised full support for existing hardware upon the release of OS X 10.0. The tray load iMacs, iBooks, and some Beige G3's and PowerBooks were equipped with Ati Rage Pro 3D cards. Although they had 2D acceleration, there was and still isn't any 3D or opengl support. Several people sued, it turned into a class action deal, yada yada yada. I never really threw up any fuss over it, afterall OS X is the OS of the future, but I took advantage of part of the settlement anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    didn't you have to return your OS X CDs to be eligible?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

didn't you have to return your OS X CDs to be eligible?

Not necessarily. There were divisions in settlement. A, B, C and so-forth. Option 'A' was the one that required you to return the cds. Since I like to keep my old unused Apple purchases for nostalgia's sake, I took the option that gave the coupon at Apple.com. I don't recall what I had to agree to, but it wasn't that significant.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    you signed your soul away

• Reply 6 of 13
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Surely the Rage Pro doesn't fully support OpenGL inn the first place?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

Surely the Rage Pro doesn't fully support OpenGL inn the first place?

did in OS 9

another big gripe was the dvd player not working anymore in OS X.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

To make it brief, Apple promised full support for existing hardware upon the release of OS X 10.0. The tray load iMacs, iBooks, and some Beige G3's and PowerBooks were equipped with Ati Rage Pro 3D cards. Although they had 2D acceleration....

I don't think it even had 2D acceleration. It had 2D but I don't think it was ever accelerated.

I got my settlement some time ago but decided not to use it.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I don't think it even had 2D acceleration. It had 2D but I don't think it was ever accelerated.

I am almost certain that when 10.1 was released, it included RagePro2D.kext (or something very similar to that) which was not included with previous versions. I for one experienced much improved UI responsiveness after that extension was included.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    None of us really know. OS X 10.0 had an ability to paint 2D images on the screen. Nothing about it felt "accelerated". I suspect all it did was push pixels in to a buffer and a buffer on to the screen. It was very slow.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by DanMacMan

Not necessarily. There were divisions in settlement. A, B, C and so-forth. Option 'A' was the one that required you to return the cds. Since I like to keep my old unused Apple purchases for nostalgia's sake, I took the option that gave the coupon at Apple.com. I don't recall what I had to agree to, but it wasn't that significant.

I'd like to read the text of divisions A, B, C and so forth. Where can I find it?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    10.1 on my iMac G3, seems much snappier than 10.2.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

what was the deal? I have read that a lot of people run jaguar and some even run panther on imacs.

a couple of mac using lawyers whined I think because OSX doesnt run as good on a g5 as it does on a 233 imac.