My 40gb iPod only has 32.11gb

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In my Finder and in iTunes my NeW 40gb 4g iPod only shows 37.22gb. Is this normal? Where's the other 2.78gb I paid for? TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ByteMe

In my Finder and in iTunes my NeW 40gb 4g iPod only shows 37.22gb. Is this normal? Where's the other 2.78gb I paid for? TIA

If you want to see the 2.78gb alive ever again your gonna have to pay! PAY I SAY!

It's just the nature of formatting.... The format itself takes up space. At least that's what someone told me... anyone care to confirm?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    That's because hard drive makers advertise 1,000,000,000 = 1 gig which isn't true 2^whatever = 1 gig which is a bit over 1 billion bytes.

It's stupid, but just universally the way it is.

Also formatting I think takes up a certain amount of space, as posted above me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Yes formatting takes up space. Check any hard drive and you'll find actual gb to be slightly less.... your computer is a good example.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    lucylucy Posts: 44member
    40 Gigabytes-37.22 Gibibytes ~= 35329310 Bytes = 33.69 MiB

You are losing about 33 megabytes to formating, maybe less, and the rest is because hard drives are marketed with gigabytes equal to billions of bytes as opposed to sets of 2^30 bytes. (Called a Gibibyte according to NIST.)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Is your iPod formatted for mac or fat 32 windows?

You can get a couple more space if it's mac formatted, I've tried this.