Printing Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I've run into a dilemma, and hopefully someone here can give me a bit of advice if they have time:

- One Windows XP PC is connected with a Samsung ML-1210 printer.

- I have a new iBook G4 (10.3) that wants to use that Samsung printer via a wireless network (Linksys wireless router).

- I can print perfectly fine when the printer is directly connected to each machine, as both of them have the correct drivers installed.

- However, when I'm adding the Samsung printer from the Mac's Print Utility, it fails to let me choose the correct print driver from the Print List. It has all these printer brand names, including Generic and Other... but "Generic" creates a postscript printer which won't work for me, and if you choose "Other", it fails to find anything sufficient to use.

So I guess my question is, how do make Apple recognize the Samsung drivers that are clearly on the computer (and installed) when you are trying to setup a Windows Printing printer on the iBook.

Thanks for your time.

Wayne

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    can you go to samsung's website to try downloading the driver then moving it manually to the printer area? I'm not sure why the printer is able to work without "having" the drivers
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Unfortunately I can't manually move it. It just runs automatically on its own to install things. The drivers for the printer are definitely installed on the iBook cause the OS recognizes it immediately when I plug the printer directly to the iBook (via USB).

Thanks though for trying, I really do appreciate it. I saw a few similar threads in the old AI archives, and they received no replies to the same problem essentially
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wayne Lau

Hi,

I've run into a dilemma, and hopefully someone here can give me a bit of advice if they have time:

- One Windows XP PC is connected with a Samsung ML-1210 printer.

- I have a new iBook G4 (10.3) that wants to use that Samsung printer via a wireless network (Linksys wireless router).

- I can print perfectly fine when the printer is directly connected to each machine, as both of them have the correct drivers installed.

- However, when I'm adding the Samsung printer from the Mac's Print Utility, it fails to let me choose the correct print driver from the Print List. It has all these printer brand names, including Generic and Other... but "Generic" creates a postscript printer which won't work for me, and if you choose "Other", it fails to find anything sufficient to use.

So I guess my question is, how do make Apple recognize the Samsung drivers that are clearly on the computer (and installed) when you are trying to setup a Windows Printing printer on the iBook.

Thanks for your time.

Wayne

Try going to System Preference/Sharing and see if "Windows" file sharing is turned on

You'll have to do it in both "Tabs"; "Services" and "Firewall"

Make sure "AppleTalk" is turned on

Once that's done return to the "Finder" and click on the "Go" menu scroll down to "Connect to Server" and sign in.

Then just go about selecting whatever you want to print through the print dialog box in the application, choose network printer (maybe it's something else, like Windows Printer Not sure) and print

Hope I got all that right unless I completely misunderstood your question??

The problem seems to be that OS X is not seeing the network for Windows File Sharing, seems to me

I hope this is some help to you