more than 640MB ram?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I have a 12" Rev.A Powerbook and I will upgrade my Ram from 256 to either 640 or 1GB.

My question is: Will I notice this diference?

I don't do anything heavy in Photoshop (files tend to be below 150MB). I just like to have over 15 Applications open...

Especially when I have more than one user active this powerbooks uses its HD to much and slooows down.

So, are 640MB enough or is it worth to spen 200$ more on 1GB?

Sorry for another thread about ram, and thank you for any answears!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:

Originally posted by future-ex-pc-user

I don't do anything heavy in Photoshop (files tend to be below 150MB). I just like to have over 15 Applications open...

Your worst case scenario is a 150mb PS file (one 150mb file needs 450mb ram for smooth sailing) and 15 apps open, which is a heavier load than I usually bear. That won't be very comfortable (possible?) under 640.

If you don't mind seesawing bigger PS projects with everything else, what the heck, save the $. You certainly will enjoy the more than doubled ram.

But I temporarily down-graded to 512 while awaiting a repair on my other mac (1G), and squirmed constantly under ram issues (Panther/PS7 FYI). I cursed the arrival of a meaty project right after I dropped off that CPU.

Over time, the relief of the extra ram would be well worth $200 in my book.

Are you earning a living with this Mac? If so, time is money and ram saves time.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I have the same PB. You will definitely notice a difference jumping to 640 as I did.

Don't know about going bigger but I know we have a gig in our iMac and it made a big difference.

I go with notaclone on what you are using it for.