Home Office Recommendations

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi guys,



I'm saving up for a home office in order to do more freelance work, (photo

restoration, business cards, brochures, logo design, web, & etc.) I've got

three grand saved up & hope to squirrel away another three to four grand by

January/February. Anyway this is my dream setup so far:



HARDWARE:



($2,899)

PowerBook 1.5GHz (17" TFT)

1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory 065-4968

80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm 065-4965

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) 065-4966

AirPort Extreme Card 065-4974

512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM 065-5071

Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English 065-4963



($101.99)

512MB RAM - from www.crucial.com



($349)

APP for PowerBook (w/ or w/o display)

Enrollment Kit



($179)

Professional 17 Backpack Case by Brenthaven



($399)

iPod w/Click Wheel (40GB w/Dock)

*For external backup



($199)

AirPort Extreme Base Station (with modem and antenna port)



($149)

iSight Camera



($399)

Fuji FinePix E550 Digital Camera - from www.amazon.com



($399)

Epson Stylus Photo R800 Inkjet Printer



($449)

Epson Perfection 4870 Photo Scanner







SOFTWARE:



($999.95)



Adobe Creative Suite v1.1 - Standard



($899.95)

Macromedia Studio MX 2004



($99.95)

Toast 6.0 Titanium



($69.95)

.Mac Promotional Bundle





GRAND TOTAL: $7592.79

TOTAL without iPod, iSight, .Mac bundle: $6,974.84



Hopefully a new powerbook loaded with Tiger will be out by February.

Is there anything that I may be missing with this setup (cables, software,

& etc.) I was also thinking about getting a wireless optical mouse. I noticed

a bunch at the apple store. Any recommendations? I'd like a two button

version with a scrollwheel (I don't need those 5 or 6 button mice.)



Also, can anyone recommend a good firewire/usb port hub. Do you know

of any all-in-one port hubs that have usb, usb2, firewire 400, firewire 800,

& media slots for the finepix?



I probably won't be playing games on it because I've already got all three

consoles so I don't need any recommendations leading toward that area.



(edit)

The epson printer can print directly to discs. Any recommendations for

some quality cd-r & dvd-recordable media? Also, I'm thinking about

getting a 256 or 512MB card for the camera. Recommendations for that

will be welcome as well.



I was also thinking about getting a color lazer printer for comps. Has

anyone seen one that accepts 11x17" paper & was under a grand? I saw

some color lazer printers at the apple store but I think they only go up

to legal paper size.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 10
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by mello

    Hi guys,



    I was also thinking about getting a color lazer printer for comps. Has

    anyone seen one that accepts 11x17" paper & was under a grand? I saw

    some color lazer printers at the apple store but I think they only go up

    to legal paper size.




    It's difficult to find tabloid printers under a grand, period. however, you should look at soild-ink printers in addition to color lasers. I think you'll find that the Xerox-Tektronix Solid-ink Phasers are damn good deals.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Splinemodel

    It's difficult to find tabloid printers under a grand, period. however, you should look at soild-ink printers in addition to color lasers. I think you'll find that the Xerox-Tektronix Solid-ink Phasers are damn good deals.



    Do you know any specific model numbers so I check on the zerox website?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    Mello I'm curious about some of your choices.





    You want tabloid capabilities so why not try the Canon i9900 over the Epson R800? The Canon support Tabloid and has the 8 seperate carts. Plus it might be sharper than the R800. Then you find the best CIS(continuous Ink System)so you don't get gouged on ink prices.



    As for laser the Tektronix/Xerox 8400 is the one close to your pricerange 8400 Model comparison . Don't be put off by the solid ink. The technology is inexpensive and works nicely.



    I'm curious about that Finepix E550. It's not out until around Oct. Did you read a good review on it somewhere?



    If you're paying cash I bet you could find a couple of places that carry a majority of what you want submit them a request for their best deal. I'm sure you'd probably shave a hundred or two off of the total. BHphotovideo.com has almost everything you want need.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Surely you can find cheaper better external storage than an iPod?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    http://www.thinkgeek.com



    for all your home office/office needs I like their remote controlled tanks with cameras on them so you can do battle in cubicles
  • Reply 6 of 10
    xterra48xterra48 Posts: 169member
    What type of office is this, ie whats your job with all this equipment!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Scott

    Surely you can find cheaper better external storage than an iPod?



    If external storage is your goal, I recomend an external FW enclosure. Get a $50 enclosure and a 200gb hdd for like 149 and for $200 you'r in FW storage heaven. (the advantage to this is it can easily be upgraded when bigger drives ship.)
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Mello I'm curious about some of your choices.





    You want tabloid capabilities so why not try the Canon i9900 over the Epson R800? The Canon support Tabloid and has the 8 seperate carts. Plus it might be sharper than the R800. Then you find the best CIS(continuous Ink System)so you don't get gouged on ink prices.



    As for laser the Tektronix/Xerox 8400 is the one close to your pricerange 8400 Model comparison . Don't be put off by the solid ink. The technology is inexpensive and works nicely.



    I'm curious about that Finepix E550. It's not out until around Oct. Did you read a good review on it somewhere?



    If you're paying cash I bet you could find a couple of places that carry a majority of what you want submit them a request for their best deal. I'm sure you'd probably shave a hundred or two off of the total. BHphotovideo.com has almost everything you want need.




    At work I have access to a Epson Stylus Photo 2200 which is a great printer

    which is a 4 picoliter printer. I've heard great things of the R800 which is

    a 1.5 picoliter printer. I'll mainly be using this for digital photography &

    photo restorations. I wanted a 11x17 printer for comps to show the client,

    (mainly work in progress brochures, logos, etc.) It doesn't have to be a

    top of the line printer.



    My choice of the finepix e550 is not set in stone. I heard good reviews of

    the previous finepix that I believe is a 6.1 megapixel camera that gets that

    resolution from merging the light & dark sensor for the final pic. The e550

    is something like 12.3 megapixel. Anyway, I want to spend under $500

    for a camera that had a resolution of 7megapixels or higher.



    My choice for the iPod as an external backup is dualuse because I want to

    listen to my music as well & I may want to transfer photos from the camera

    to the iPod. ( I also plan on making cd backups that I'll put in a fireproof

    safe.)



    The pricing is that I wrote up is just a quick preliminary price. I plan to

    shop around to try to find the best deal. I'll probably order the laptop

    through the milwaukee apple store though because they're so close &

    if there are any problems I could just go there.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by xterra48

    What type of office is this, ie whats your job with all this equipment!



    I'll be doing freelance graphic design from my home. (I mentioned that in

    my original post.)
  • Reply 9 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    Yes the Finepix have the nice Fuji CCDs. I remember liking some of the shots that dcresource.com had from the last years version.



    Epson/Canon both nice printers. I'm thinking about getting an i960 but the Tabloid printing of the i9900 is nice.



    Finepix E550 specs



    All in all a very nice system you're putting together. Hopefully business will be so good you're turning clients away.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hmurchison

    Yes the Finepix have the nice Fuji CCDs. I remember liking some of the shots that dcresource.com had from the last years version.



    Epson/Canon both nice printers. I'm thinking about getting an i960 but the Tabloid printing of the i9900 is nice.



    Finepix E550 specs



    All in all a very nice system you're putting together. Hopefully business will be so good you're turning clients away.




    hmurchison,



    How are the inks on the i9900, (Color shifting, fading, etc)? What I've read

    about the epson is that the inks last something like 100 years. Here is the link

    for more details from epson's site:



    Link
Sign In or Register to comment.