OFFICIAL NFL thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
SO, anybody been watching the league as it has been getting prepared?

I am going to make very early predictions for who wins their divisions.

Anybody have any ideas?

Who are they watching and why?

I, of course, am watching the Steelers who are now doubled up in the back field with Duce Staley as well as 'the Bus' Jerome Bettis.

They now have a rookie Tight End Matt Kranchick, who, at 6'7" should be interesting to watch, and they drafted well with a new QB in Ben Roethlisberger . . . a QB that I thought seemed to fit their style of play before the draft . . . I was hoping that they would pick him (he hasn't signed yet though, which is a worry). They have also been working some on their O line (which was devestated last year with injuries) with a 6'7" rookie Tackle named Max Starks and another strong Rookie named Bo Lacy from Arkansas -Bo From Arkansas!

Anyway, they also have re-enlisted their old Defensive co-ordinator who plans to bring back their older more aggressive D . . . the kind that worked for them: lots of blitzing and strange confusing plays . . . hopefully they'll really get to utilize their very strong set of Linebackers . . . though they did let go of Jason Gildon . . . . who is probably a Hall of Famer . . . I don't know what to feel about that . . . he was getting older but he was a true great.

Anyway, I am bummed because I won't actually get to see any Steeler games (or hardly any, except the Superbowl out here in Wisconsin and not being able to afford cable or NFL ticket . . . leaves me spending 32$ and geting the online NFL.com thingy . . . oh well . .

Here are my early predictions by division:

AFC East:

New England will be even stronger, They'll win the division.

Buffalo will be interesting . . . I'd like to watch them play . . . it would be fun to watch Travis Henry and MacGhee . . . McGhee is back after his heartbreaking knee injury in the Fiesta bowl game that was the game of the century . . . Supposedly Mularky plans on using them both in the same play often . . . sounds fun.

AFC North:

I don't think that this is the 'weak' division that it used to be . . . it used to be an easy win for the Steelers, but I think all of the teams have gotten much better in the last year (except Pittsburgh sucked last year!)

I think Cleveland made a mistake in letting Couch go, I think that he hasn't yet had a chance to show how good he is . . . I saw a spark of it in the Steelers/Browns game where he took over from Holcolmb. Garcia may be good but I am yet to be convinced . . . and he was probably very expensive.

Baltimore will also be tough again, and Cincinatti will have Carson Palmer at start QB, so that should be interesting . .

But the Steelers will win the Division in a slam! . . . of course!

AFC South:

Jacksonville will do well . . . because they have new uniforms!

I'm still waiting for them to get risky and go with Jaguar spotted jerseys!!!

Indianapols will win the division but won't go all the way.

AFC West:

Kansas City . . . their Defense is rumored to be even more aggressive this year.

I Would love to see Tomlinson, with the Chargers, get to show his stuff . . . what little of him I have seen leaves me to believe that there are two real running backs playing today: He is first and then Clinton Portis

NFC East:

Philadelphia will clinch it: T Owens, though I can't stand the guy, is a real adition to their squad, and Jevon Kearse is an awesome Defensive End that they got from Tennessee.

But, The Redskins (can anyone love a team with such a dispicable name!?) will be interesting . . . they managed to get Portis from Denver and they have Lavereaus Coles . . . they will place surprisingly well

Cowboys are a strong contender too . . .its a tough division.

NFC North:

I'm watching and hoping for the Lions to place . . . they will have a good pass game this year and are supposedly 'fast'. They may become my new favorite team.

But the packers will do well again and take the division . . . they are a better team than their record last year showed . . . Ahman Greene is awesome . . . they just need better play calling.

NFC South:

Atlanta might be good . . . Vic is great,but can a team that needs one player so much be that great?!

I say that Carolina does well and wins the division again . . . . but I would like to see the Saints do it . . . Id like to see Duece Macallister get the cudos he deserves . . . besides, any team named after semi obscure Voodoo ritual words has got to be cool

NFC West:

the Saint Loius Rams are good, but they belong in LA . . . they should never win until they get back there.

and

the Arizona Cardinals suck and they will never win untill they get back to Saint Louis where they belong . . . there are no Cardinals (birds) in Arizona, they would die in the heat (as is evidenced from the complaints of being overworked in the heat by the Card players in camp this week)

Anyway, Seattle will learn to win on the road and will take this division

Just some thoughts . . . subject to immediate change soon.

Ultimate prediction: Philadelphia and The Pittsburgh Steelers in the Superbowl

. . . well, most likely New England though

Comments

• Reply 1 of 278
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Being a CT based Pats fan, I'd like to see some more Superbowl glory head their way. It's amazing how many times they pulled their @$$ out of the fire last season, which led to many exciting OT finishes.

I think Jerome Bettis' best days are far behind him. I think he's more of a wheelchair than a bus nowadays.
  • Reply 2 of 278
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Being a San Diego Charger fan, I would like to see Tomlinson be on a team that won't soley rely on him. That is competitive, and can actually achieve victory without sole reliance on him.

Last year Tomlinson demonstrated to the world that he is the greatest athlete in the history of competitive endeavors. You name me one running back in the NFL who could have achieved so much behind San Diego's sorry o-line and being backed up by the Charger's butter-fingered recieving corp. Lets not forget Drew Brees break through season last year where he showed the NFL that he would make a great back up quarterback. Then again, as pourous as SD's defense was last year, it wouldn't have mattered if Tomlinson was backed up by Michael Vick, Randy Moss, Tony Gonzalez, and New England's O-line.

My predictions for San Diego:

Defense improves dramatically.

Tomlinson has a great season statistically.

Aside from Tomlinson offense struggles as always (even with Rivers).

Once again we bring the A-Game for the evil malt-liquor guzzling Oakland Raider Anarchist State of Stupidity but choke in the 4th proving once again that evil does pay.

We improve to 5-11

2006 looks bright though!
  • Reply 3 of 278
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hegor

It seems to me that they should have stuck with the old man at QB last eyar . . . . wasn't that one of the only games they won? Flutie, I mean.
  • Reply 4 of 278
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quincy Carter cut today from the Cowboys. Losing your starting QB is never a good thing.
  • Reply 5 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Quincy Carter cut today from the Cowboys. Losing your starting QB is never a good thing.

rumor is he failed a second drug test. if true and he still remained on the team, he would of missed at least the first four games anyway. i guess the cowboys decided to cut their losses and call it a day. oh well, i never thought he was the answer to their qb problems.
  • Reply 6 of 278
    just to follow up, a coworker of mine's dad works for the fortworth star-telegram, and evidently quincy showed up at camp all wired and out of sorts. since he was already in the league's substance abuse program, the team decided to go ahead and order a drug test to avoid any future problems during the regular season. what a dumb ass.
  • Reply 7 of 278
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I think the Jets will give the Pats a run for their money this year, but then again I am an eternal optimist. I think this is the year Pennington plays a full season and really lights it up though. I also think Lamont Jordan will have a break out year and take plays away from Curtis Martin. I also think the defense will be much more aggressive and improved. I see Brady eating some serious turf.

On another note, Quicny Carter was never gonna be the answer.
  • Reply 8 of 278
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Tim Brown was released by the Raiders. He didn't want to be the 3rd or 4th receiver. It was a mutual split, but it won't look right if he plays for someone else. Like Emmitt on the Cardinals.

Jeff
  • Reply 9 of 278
    As for the league in general it seems like New England has to be the huge favorite. Winning the Super Bowl, losing very little and adding Cory Dillon-yikes!

J
  • Reply 10 of 278
    New England looks awesome. They are a team full of B+ player. Extremly well rounded and with good chemistry. Geez. They should change their name to the New England Opposite of The Chargers.

To answer a previous inquiry, Flutie was 1-3 in substitution for Drew Brees. He played three great games and one game poorly. The defense failed him.
  • Reply 11 of 278
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    It's not like the Pats can't take a few hits either. Brady got planted plenty of times last season. It's amazing watching him work, he'll wait until a microsecond before he gets slammed to release the ball if he sees a play forming.

Who will Dallas use for a QB now that Carter's gone?

If nothing else, you gotta admit the Tuna pulled Dallas outa the trash can last year. I'm excited to see how Dallas does this season.
  • Reply 12 of 278
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

It seems to me that they should have stuck with the old man at QB last eyar . . . . wasn't that one of the only games they won? Flutie, I mean.

well, the game you're thinking of was when he ran roughshod over the vikings, but that was less of a victory, and more of pointing out to the league that the emporer had no clothes... or rather, the vikings had no defense to speak of. thus began the Geat Collapse for minnesota.

nfc east has to be the eagles. i would be shocked if anyone topped them in the east with owens AND kearse now on the team.

nfc central... wow, i have no idea. the sentimental pick is the packers, but everyone in the division has one strength and a laundry list of weaknesses. best team out of there is 10-6 and loses first round of playoffs, i reckon.

nfc west. i must admit i don't know much about this division at all. does san fran have ANYone left anymore? let's say, um, seattle. just because.

nfc south... carolina lost nothing over the off season, so i have to think they will be just as good, provided 2003-04 delhomme wasn't a fluke. i think the second half comeback of the super bowl answers that... even though they lost. i'm not sure what the hell gruden thinks he's doing with my bucs. they'll either be enormously improved, or go down the sh!tter. the saints will contend untiil the very end, but vick will be the thorn in their side all season.

nfc wild cards: let's say dallas (groan) and atlanta.

afc east... well, the dolphins are a mess. no idea what the jets have done, but they are a different team with hutch behind center. new england is scary. of course, sure things have a way of going down in flames quickly in the nfl, so who knows. but my money is on new england. buffalo will be adjusting, but tulane boy jp losman could be a sleeper substituion halfway through the year if bledsoe can't get on track. strangely, tulane has generated some decent qb's over the past seven years. now if they could just generate the rest of the team...

afc central... pfflam, i know you want the steelers here, but they're caught is one hell of a crossfire. teams in this division will struggle to get past 9-7, but only because they beat the crap out of each other all year long. let's go sentimental and say BUNGELS in the playoffs, baby! but what the HECK is up with that new logo? a "B" with tiger stripes? why don't we go back to the kenny anderson-era "BENGALS" across the helmet, high-school style while we're at it.

afc south. well, the titans always quietly beat the crap out of everyone every year. but mcnair doesn't stay healthy... ever. which will mean they will lsoe the split with indy again. but the texans will be fun to watch scare people.

afc west. no idea here, folks. i gotta think the chiefs have to be ready to bounce back. the raiders were SO BAD, i cannot see them making up much ground, even with a new coach. i don't know why san diego and drew brees never worked out. man, he and his receiver (what's his name? the short white fast guy on the falcons?) tore up the big ten back in the day. but then again, none of brees' receivers ever get open like they used to do in college.

wild card: tennessee, and let's say pittsburgh so pfflam doesnt completely kill me.

• Reply 13 of 278
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I just have to give a shout-out to my Broncos this year, because they will win the AFC West division...Kansas City?! Are you kidding me? We are soo beefed up on defense, got a veteran running back, not like it matters who runs behind this O-line, a great quarterback in his second year within the system, and very good Wide outs, with options at the TE spot. I think that they are underrated severely, and that will come back to haunt a lot of teams. Look for an aggressive defense, and an offense that can capitalize on turnovers.

New England will be tough, we shall see when they spark again, they tend to do it when it counts, and are the team to beat in the NFL.
  • Reply 14 of 278
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I am normaly a die-hard packer fan, but as Joe Gibbs is my favorite race team, I am really torn on this one...wait a minute, no I am not, GO PACKERS!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 278
    iJerry,

The Broncos will rue the day they traded Portis. They traded a future Hall of Famer for an aging cornerback.

Jake Plummer is good but still choke prone.

AFC west predictions

KC 11-5

Den 9-7

Oakland 8-8

SD 5-11
  • Reply 16 of 278
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hegor

iJerry,

The Broncos will rue the day they traded Portis. They traded a future Hall of Famer for an aging cornerback.

Jake Plummer is good but still choke prone.

AFC west predictions

KC 11-5

Den 9-7

Oakland 8-8

SD 5-11

I don't see how, he is really small for a full-featured back, quick yes, but couldn't take a hit, plus he had major ego problems and I look for Portis to run into some trouble, the one thing the Broncos are consistently good at is scouting RB talent. Champ Bailey is only 26, and he just turned 26, so I don't see him as aging. Hearst, now that is an aging player, but he will bring leadership to the team on offense and did run for 800 yards last season. I look to be pleasantly surprised with Plummer's play.

So, I still see KC finishing second behind the broncos in the division, but only time will tell.
  • Reply 17 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I don't see how, he is really small for a full-featured back, quick yes, but couldn't take a hit, plus he had major ego problems and I look for Portis to run into some trouble, the one thing the Broncos are consistently good at is scouting RB talent. Champ Bailey is only 26, and he just turned 26, so I don't see him as aging. Hearst, now that is an aging player, but he will bring leadership to the team on offense and did run for 800 yards last season. I look to be pleasantly surprised with Plummer's play.

So, I still see KC finishing second behind the broncos in the division, but only time will tell.

i've never been a big broncos fan, but if Q manages to hold on to the starting job as the #1 RB, i'll watch every game. portis was a bad ass with denver, to be sure, but i think the little man will do just fine now that he has had a year to get to know the system.
  • Reply 18 of 278
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ijerry

I just have to give a shout-out to my Broncos this year, because they will win the AFC West division...Kansas City?! Are you kidding me? We are soo beefed up on defense, got a veteran running back, not like it matters who runs behind this O-line, a great quarterback in his second year within the system, and very good Wide outs, with options at the TE spot. I think that they are underrated severely, and that will come back to haunt a lot of teams. Look for an aggressive defense, and an offense that can capitalize on turnovers.

New England will be tough, we shall see when they spark again, they tend to do it when it counts, and are the team to beat in the NFL.

i used to be the biggest broncos fan on earth outside of the state of colorado, but i really lost track of them last year. i'm also a big fan of plummer, who suffered from languishing on the cardinals for so long. someone needs to buy the cards from bidwell, and just start over from the ground up, like the bucs did in the late 90's when the glazers took over for hugh culverhouse.
  • Reply 19 of 278
    maffrewmaffrew Posts: 166member
    As an English NFL fan, i'm looking forward to the coming season. I tend to focus my attention on the Pats and the Packers.

Does anybody know if the NFL provide any sort of internet streaming service of games? Even with satellite or cable television here, coverage of american sports is unbelievably bad.
  • Reply 20 of 278
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

Does anybody know if the NFL provide any sort of internet streaming service of games? Even with satellite or cable television here, coverage of american sports is unbelievably bad.

NFL.com has a "FIeld Pass" service to stream audio of all the games. You can choose between the home or away radio crews. I don't know about any video, though.

J