The "E-Cube"...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The company Shuttle has created a small Cube-based cabinet that can be used with the Flex-ATX cards. Its funny. This machine is 212 x 306 x 242 millimeters. The case is basically a aluminum case with a plexi glass cover. It has room for a floppy, DVD-ROM (etc), and a harddrive. USB 2.0, 100 mbps Ethernet, audio and graphics are integrated on the motherboard. IT also has 1 x PCI, 1 x AGP Slot

This makes me think of the Apple Cube, which messured 250 x 200 x 200 millimeters, and had decent graphics, fast cpu, audio, firewire, usb, combodrive, airport.

I think a new Apple Cube with one PCI and one AGP slot would have been a LOT more popular! Like a PowerMac "Light", with only 1 CPU... Or as an iMac with a choice of displays.

SO here, for comparrison:

The E-Cube

The Apple Cube

How is that food for thought ?

BoeManE

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: BoeManE ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    PCI cards can be 12 inches long...Even a larger Cube would have had only a few PCI cards to choose from, and many aren't worth it. Smaller PCI cards include ATA, USB, FireWire, ethernet, modem, etc. All useless to a Cube...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    -@--@- Posts: 39member
    [quote] Smaller PCI cards include ATA, USB, FireWire, ethernet, modem, etc. All useless to a Cube... <hr></blockquote>

Why is ATA133 or Serial ATA, a sweet soundcard, possibility to upgrade to Firewire 2.0 or USB 2.0, TV capture cards eect.. useless for a Cube?

PCI and AGP ports are usefull, its nice to be able to upgrade part of your computer.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    bsharpbsharp Posts: 64member
    [quote]Originally posted by BoeManE:

<strong>

I think a new Apple Cube with one PCI and one AGP slot would have been a LOT more popular! Like a PowerMac "Light", with only 1 CPU... Or as an iMac with a choice of displays.

BoeManE

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: BoeManE ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree! Sign me up! I'd buy it.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by -@-:

<strong>

Why is ATA133 or Serial ATA, a sweet soundcard, possibility to upgrade to Firewire 2.0 or USB 2.0, TV capture cards eect.. useless for a Cube?

PCI and AGP ports are usefull, its nice to be able to upgrade part of your computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ATA/133 for one internal HDD?

FireWire 2? Not out yet.

USB 2.0 Do you really want it?

Video capture? FireWire.

Sound card? Would <a href="http://www.soundblaster.com/products/gallery/new/audigy_card2.jpg"; target="_blank">this</a> fit? Hmm.

If you need expandability, there is already a Power Mac line for you. Creating Macs for the entire spectrum of Apple users is not in Apple's best interests. You're basically cutting up the same marketshare in a different way. Let Apple grow past 3% marketshare before they start branching out their product line-up. You're already seeing lots of overlap with the eMac and iMac for example. Look at the second quarter sales vs the first quarter sales. The eMac intro didn't create any more sales. It just swiped iMac sales.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>

If you need expandability, there is already a Power Mac line for you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Really? Why haven't I seen it?

I'm not sure why the idea of one Mac "stealing" sales from another is such a big deal. A sale is a sale, and the more Macs Apple sells the better. The more options consumers have the more likely it is Apple will get a sale.

Some people seem upset with the eMac because it's "stealing" sales from the iMac. That's just an absurd way of thinking.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>

Really? Why haven't I seen it?

I'm not sure why the idea of one Mac "stealing" sales from another is such a big deal. A sale is a sale, and the more Macs Apple sells the better. The more options consumers have the more likely it is Apple will get a sale.

Some people seem upset with the eMac because it's "stealing" sales from the iMac. That's just an absurd way of thinking.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree to some extent. A sale IS a sale, but the profits aren't nececarily the same. I think Apple gets more profit from the iMac than from the eMac - but then again, maybe not (I guess that Apple get the MOST profit if you buy an old-school iMac off the Apple store.)

What I would like is a Cube with one PCI slot and one 4x/8x AGP slot. I now have a PowerBook G4, and im very happy with it - if only I could change the videocard (That would be sweet )

I used to own a PowerMac G4/400. I never used any of the PCI cards, but I would have upgraded the video card, had it been worth it (it only had a 2x AGP anyways). Therefore, a Cube with a Superdrive, or even a comboDrive lets me do everything I need.

I can have a fast CPU, a good/great videocard for some gaming/rendering. All in all a Great machine. but I dont need a huge computer at my desk.

What I'm trying to say is that at the current G4 prizes, the Cube would is worth a new try. Make it slightly bigger (or keep the same size), add a PCI and a AGP slot (that was the feature the most ppl wanted from it) and extend the ADC connector to include FireWire on the displays.

Id buy that in a second when I need to buy a desktop computer.

(BTW. the only reason PC's need 4 PCI slots is cuz they use up 3 of them from the start - 1 for ethernet, 1 for soundcard and one for modem or USB2.0/FireWire).

That leaves them with the same expandability as the Cube I just described.

BoeManE
  • Reply 7 of 8
    -@--@- Posts: 39member
    [quote] ATA/133 for one internal HDD? <hr></blockquote>

Why not? Certainly better than ATA66

[quote] FireWire 2? Not out yet. <hr></blockquote>

Exactly, but when it is, I can have it if I want.

[quote] USB 2.0 Do you really want it? <hr></blockquote>

Not right now, but maybe later.

[quote] Video capture? FireWire. <hr></blockquote>

Cheaper as a PCI card? Wider rage.

[quote] Sound card? Would this fit? Hmm. <hr></blockquote>

Don?t know, but it would be nice to be able to ad one. Apple could design Cube 2.0 to be able to implement these cards. The design doesn?t have to change much to accommodate a PCI slot.

I want options and a small sweet design.

This will eat a GF4 Ti4600 and it is a HUGE AGP card, surely it will eat a Soundblaser Live soundcard. Now just ad OSX

<a href="http://www.shuttleonline.com/Images/ProductImage/ss51.jpg"; target="_blank">http://www.shuttleonline.com/Images/ProductImage/ss51.jpg</a>;

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: -@- ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Screw the 12" PCI slot.

Just give me enough room to meet the vid card spec, wrap the sucker in plastic, drop a single CPU in it, and re-release the Cube!

Do it! Do it Now!

Jet