Reinstalling Mac OS X Question...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I think there is some weird corrupt system files on my iBook g4 running panther. I have tried repairing permissions, repairing the disk, fsck, running the cron scripts, etc.

So I have decided to just reinstall. But I have a lot of data on my laptop and also don't feel like setting up all the users again.

Is there an OS X install option that simply reinstalls the system files and preserves your home directories?

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yes

it is called archive and install...

it should be an option when you re-install.

an upgrade install would probably work also, but not from an older version ( IE 10.3.0 on CD to 10.3.4 on disk will not work)

make sure you repair the disk and repair permissions from the install CD before you install.

I would also suggest backing up any important data, just because it is a good idea to get into that type of habit...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    If you think you have some problems with your drive try running disk warrior and see what happens. Try it as a demo and see if that helps before you do the archive and install.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    murdockmurdock Posts: 49member
    Hi!

Dage007 give you a big tip... try before you screw...

Murdock
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Murdock

Hi!

Dage007 give you a big tip... try before you screw...

Murdock

What do you mean by that? I had corrupted files on my system..Everythime I would save a photoshop file, the odd one would reload corrupted or not load at all. What was causing it who knows. I went and got disk warrior, ran it and the problem never came back...

I would consider that having the problem solved wouldn't you?