Bizarre Finder problem (it uses 70% of CPU constantly)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
For the past week Finder has gobbled up what ever is left of the CPU. So if iTunes is using 8% and a few other applications and system stuff uses another 22%, Finder will use the remaining 70%. Hence my CPU meter constantly shows 100% or a load average of about 2.00.

I am assuming Finder is stuck running some infinite loop, but I have tried restarting and this does not solve the problem.

My 1 gzh titanium Powerbook functions alright but the fan runs constantly and the battery life is down to 2 hours (running 10.3.4).

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Installed any software/shareware lately (that would correspond to the appearance of the symptom)?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    derevderev Posts: 64member
    Try fixing permissions: Go to your utilities folder and open "Disc Utility" choose the drive thats acting up and then choose "fix permissions".

If this doesn't help there are other actions you can take using the terminal utility, but I am not savvy enuf to explain (a unix geek could help you with that one).

Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

For the past week Finder has gobbled up what ever is left of the CPU. So if iTunes is using 8% and a few other applications and system stuff uses another 22%, Finder will use the remaining 70%. Hence my CPU meter constantly shows 100% or a load average of about 2.00.

I am assuming Finder is stuck running some infinite loop, but I have tried restarting and this does not solve the problem.

My 1 gzh titanium Powerbook functions alright but the fan runs constantly and the battery life is down to 2 hours (running 10.3.4).

Any suggestions?

• Reply 3 of 4
    Somewhere there was another thread on this but I've slept since then and don't remember... it had to do with a finder preference that showed little preview icons or something. I'll hunt around and see if I can locate the real thread.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Instead of relaunching the Finder, try quitting it for awhile. Every so often the same thing happens to my PB and quitting, rather than relaunching seems to do the trick. Still haven't figured out what the problem is though.