Adobe Streamline for Mac OS X... sort of

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Last night I was at a meeting of The Bay Area Motion Graphics user group to watch a demo of After Effect 6.5. I started talking to the Adobe rep who was giving the demo. The subject of Streamline came up. He said that when Adobe bought Streamline, it was written into the agreements that Adobe would not incorporate Streamline?s functionality into the other Adobe apps, nor would they try to reverse engineer Streamline, or anything like that for a period of 10 years. Well, that 10 years is up. The rep didn?t say that Adobe would be upgrading Streamline, but he did imply that we would be seeing Streamline?s functionality, built into another Adobe app. very soon. So no, there probably won?t be a Mac OS X version of Streamline, but it sounds like OS X will be getting Streamlines functionality back? Thank you Adobe!

By the way? The After Effects 6.5 demo was awesome! I want it!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    good info LeisureMonkey Will see what the future holds for OS X and streamline

and oh, here a handy link to get Adobe after effects

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/main.html
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    There already is a (very simple) Autotrace Tool build-in in Illustrator. But nothing close to Streamline. My guess is that Adobe will beef-up this little tool to a full blown plugin for Illustrator and After Effects. And why not, even Photoshop ?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Freehand has had the very good tracing featuere since version 7.

Tracing in Illustrator has been (and still be, and will be) a huge joke as long as Streamline isn't built in.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    PhotoShop can kludge Streamline functionality with a mix of Threshold and Paths, with more interactivity control, but more complexity.

Flash can use it's Trace Bitmap function to make vector fills in colour.

But a beefed up Streamline for OS X might be welcomed by my design students.