New Quicksilver not Selling

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
One of the best local Apple retailer in Causeway Bay Hong Kong in which I talk to has given very negative impression on the new Quicksilver. He told me not only does it look ugly but minimal performance gain especially of DP 1GHZ continues to steer customers away. Instead old Quicksilver SP 933 and DP 1 GHZ are selling well, Because of better pricing, but also on par performance compared to the new Dual 1GHZ. So I wonder how other countries are doing? We have don't have any Apple Stores here? But how about in U,S, Japan and Europe? Anything to share, guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Apple will find out in a hurry that after the initial rush, these things will bomb miserably. I will bet money the Dual 1.25 will outperform the new Dual 1.0 by perhaps 5-10% overall, and the new Dual 1.0 will outperform the old one by less than 5%.

Simple fact: the MPX architecture is not built to perform at the level Power Mac users require - not anymore. It worked out OK with the older G4 systems because the chips were not fast enough to force the kind of bottlenecks we've been seeing since the introduction of QuickSilver.

The bottom line: until Apple introduces a Power Mac with a desktop-driven architecture, Power Mac sales will languish. We have reached the point where faster and faster processors will not - as a rule - get us faster performance when run on MPX. Why? Because MPX was not designed with desktop workstations in mind.

It's designed to provide maximum flexibility for Motorola's embedded systems customers. And based on what I've read, that's the way they WANT IT. MPX is not going to be replaced anytime soon, because the vast majority of companies who use it like it just the way it is.

So, if Apple wants the towers to sell for the duration of their production run, they had better find a way to put a true desktop-oriented architecture inside. Doesn't matter who designs it or who fabricates it - only that it happens. Extra CPU MHz isn't doing us any good on MPX at this point. Truth hurts, Apple.

*shrug* I got nothing but time and a sore back from sitting on my wallet all these months.

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 43
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    You seem to think Apple is not aware of the problems with Motorola and their MPX. I can assure you that Apple is keenly aware of the problems and I guarantee you they have taken steps to remedy it. I'm guessing we'll see the answer to the problems anwhere between 6 months to a year from now.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Sheesh I know here in the Status the economy is just not good enough for the masses to be making large purchases. Computers aren't the only things that haven't been selling well.
  • Reply 4 of 43
    Suddenly I'm loving every ounce of my old DP 1 GHz, and loving the fact that I bought over 6 months ago. Thanks Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    imudimud Posts: 140member
    I'm sure all the Apple dealers out there are pushing the old quicksilvers as hard as they can before they are stuck with something they are gonna loose money on. God knows ebay is full of quicksilvers right now. What I want to know is are the new quicksilvers less noisy? I remember when the dual 800 was the top machine and everyone was complaining about the noise.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    Xaqtly:

I never said anything about Apple being "clueless" or unaware of these problems. Obviously they know. Obviously they should be trying to remedy the situation.

All I'm suggesting is, as long as we the users are offered MPX-based Power Macs, things will not get significantly better. I'm further suggesting unless Apple has designed a new PM architecture and has contracted the fabrication (or unless they do this at some point), all we have is MPX.

Draw your own conclusions.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I find it hard to believe that the new Quicksilvers aren't selling. More than a dozen people on these boards have already ordered one, and we're much more critical of Apple than the average Mac user.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I thought I was going to buy one before the announcement and independent evaluations since. But with the fake DDR memory that doesn't have a correspondingly fast FSB, it looks like a marketing trick rather than any sort of significant engineering achievement. I don't feel like buying a marketing trick this year.

When Apple can deliver a FSB that matches the DDR memory bus, then I will buy the significant engineering advancement. Like the man said above,

"Where's the Beef?"

BTW, I love the box because you can put 2 opticals inside and it has 3 ATA buses. But they aren't all 133 ATA like they should be by now (or at least both HD buses). I'll skip my rant on what else is obviously missing. You know the drill. This is marginal improvement inside a much improved box.

Let's hope they finally get it right in the next refresh. This waiting for the right refresh is getting pretty old. Apple seems to be clueless in the marketing department. I'll bet their engineering department is hogtied by that lousy marketing department. Those engineers must be going crazy with frustration.

Would love to read a book about this era in 5 years. I hope Steve Jobs will someday write a tell-all autobiography. I hope he's writing a diary of each day's details. It's a story probably worthy of a major motion picture or even a 10 hour mini-series. The political battles going on inside Apple, Motorola and IBM right now must be amazing.

Wish they'd let US in on the debates.

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 43
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Next station, Tin Hau! Please alight on the left.

Seriously. All this is expected, especially in Hong Kong, which has never been a huge Apple market. All of Asia other than Japan = PC heaven.

As for my purchase plans, I was an early adopted two purchases in a row. My DP 1 GHz broke that cycle. I don't plan on buying a new computer until the rev. 2 Power Macs based on a brand new chip are introduced.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by Multimedia:

<strong>When Apple can deliver a FSB that matches the DDR memory bus, then I will buy the significant engineering advancement.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This has already been pointed out a few times, but I'll say it again: The current G4 does not support anything faster than 167MHz SDR FSB. The FSB is Motorola's responsability. It doesn't matter if Apple's system controller supports a 167MHz DDR FSB (which it probably already does) as long as the CPU is bottlenecked by its slower FSB.

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Analogue bubblebath ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 43
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    hell, my old 867 is still kickin' butt....all i got to do is buy one of the geforce4 TI upgrade kits and i'm set for a long time to come
  • Reply 12 of 43
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Analogue bubblebath,

I know it's Motorola's fault. I'm just saying that Apple should do whatever it takes to get a processor ANY PROCESSOR that will support the entire speed boost to the 333MHz DDR level as long as it processes instructions faster than the current G4 1.25 GHz. I don't care if it's a Pentium 4 AMD ? whatever. I hope it's the new 8X capable IBM chip that is coming up.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    There is a huge built up demand for PowerMacs. Everyone can only wait so long due to fiscal budgets and other business factors. I myself am not blown away by the new machines but guiess what, it's time to spend and we are buying the new machines.

I think the new machines will sell fine.

In spite of DDR hack, fan noise, yadda yadda, ...

MSKR
  • Reply 14 of 43
    Originally posted by Masker: [quote] There is a huge built up demand for PowerMacs. Everyone can only wait so long due to fiscal budgets and other business factors. I myself am not blown away by the new machines but guiess what, it's time to spend and we are buying the new machines. <hr></blockquote>

Precisely. I'm doing the same thing. It's time. They may not have PC bragging rights, but the new machines will be fast, and at a better price point than the last stopgap update.

-------------------------------------

I Ordered It but Am Still Waiting in Nashville
  • Reply 15 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The update is a good one for now.

The problem is Apple's update cycle for each model is often a case of too little, too far between.

Analysis:

These models will sell well untill the first 1.25 Ghz machines start shipping. They'll sell well for a month after that, and will rapidly go flat in 2-3 weeks after most of the people who wanted DP 1.25's get their machines.

4-6 weeks to arrive.

4 weeks of strong selling

2-3 weeks to tail off

In 3 months all the same complaints will surface again.

The iMac FP's sales went flat in very short order. That time they forced people to buy the most expensive model if they wanted one right away. This time, people who want the fastest model will have to wait. Sales may stretch a little, but if it isn't updated soon, they're gonna start unwittingly stock-piling portal-macs.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    cobracobra Posts: 253member
    [quote]Suddenly I'm loving every ounce of my old DP 1 GHz, and loving the fact that I bought over 6 months ago. Thanks Apple.<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, thats great. I want to see Apple fail too.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    The last few posts also make a key point: immediately after every Power Mac rev, there is always a relatively small group of users who will upgrade. Either because they are the type of person who always has to have the fastest Mac available (and has the money), or because they feel they've "waited long enough" and are going to give in because they really need a better machine now and not later.

This will last for about a month (and may start up again for a few weeks when the 1.25's come out).

Let's revisit this topic in November, December and January (and beyond, should there be no update at MWSF). These things are not going to sell well, period. It's a good thing actually - it shows that the Mac user base is becoming more educated about the systems it buys, and more descriminating in general about how they spend their money.

Apple will be forced to take notice: this makes two lousy selling upgrades in a row (and during a shit economy). In the end, this will mean better products down the road for us. Stealth upgrades will become less prevalent, one would think.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    Its interesting after reading all your posts, that most people agree that PM sales will likely suffer. I only based my observation in one of the hottest Hong Kong's Apple dealer but the impression they have given me was to basically stay away from this system for at least til the next revision. I guess the biggest complain lies in the area of pulling off 1MB L3 per chip for DP 1 GHZ model. May be Apple thinks about balancing component costs, but thats the new G4 unique feature. Now despite more drive bays, no performance gain. This new Quicksilver is a patch model, not even a revision. The way I see it, Apple only have 2 choices for the 1 GHZ model. Either add back the L3 cache or pull it off from their product line. Its their call.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You should compare price points, not model similarities.

The DP 1Ghz replaces the SP933. Against that machine it is an improvement in every sense. 2 (slightly) faster CPU's, faster bus, better case, DDR (even if it only benefits system I/O) and the same amount of L3 cache (though it's split between 2 CPU's)

It's a good upgrade 'for now' but in 2 months it will face similar freshness problems.

Machines need to be updated more often, every 3-4 months in order to stay close. Bigger bumps would also help keep people interested for longer, as it is, machines too quickly fall too far behind.

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>You should compare price points, not model similarities.

The DP 1Ghz replaces the SP933. Against that machine it is an improvement in every sense. 2 (slightly) faster CPU's, faster bus, better case, DDR (even if it only benefits system I/O) and the same amount of L3 cache (though it's split between 2 CPU's)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is an excellent point. Comparing the previous DP1ghz versus the new one is comparing a $2999 machine (previous) to a $2499 machine (new). Even if the performance didn't increase much in the new machine, the $500 price drop makes these new Powermacs a nice improvement over the old ones.

Having said that, the old dual ghz machines are looking like a sweet deal at $2199 closeout price right now.