a way to browse picture

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I remembe on windows, with the picture viewer, you could just press the arrow buttons and navigate between pictures in the same folder, without having to double clikc.. and etc, just browing pictures, is there a way i can do that with OSX?

i can elaborate more if needed

oh and another thing, how can i set a program to always open a certain extension, like i want all JPG's to be opened with Viwer, but sometimes photoshop decides to open it, and i know i can just do open with, but i want to just double click and not worry about that

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by djmb

I remembe on windows, with the picture viewer, you could just press the arrow buttons and navigate between pictures in the same folder, without having to double clikc.. and etc, just browing pictures, is there a way i can do that with OSX?

i can elaborate more if needed

oh and another thing, how can i set a program to always open a certain extension, like i want all JPG's to be opened with Viwer, but sometimes photoshop decides to open it, and i know i can just do open with, but i want to just double click and not worry about that

iPhoto does what you want. Double-click on the "Next" arrow.

As for assigning files to applications, select a sample file with the extension of interest. Go to File > Get Info or [Apple]-I. Scan down to "Open with:". From the pop-up menu, select the application that you want to use for files with this extension. After you select the application, click the "Change All..." button.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You have a few options, actually for full size viewing.

1. iPhoto as mentioned,

2. Choose all the files and drop them into Preview. The first image will open in one window with a drawer to the side of all the images you opened. PReview is the equivalent of what you're thinking about in Windows.

there are also a few ways to view icon previews:

1. You can use Column view with its preview pane to show each file's preview image as you select it.

2. You can choose for the Finder to create previews of the images in icon view. I enlarge the icons in those folders to full size 128x128 so I can see the images better. It's under the window's view options, under the View menu, command-j IIRC.

3. Another way you can preview is to use the Finder's Inspector (option-apple-i) to show the preview for a file as you select it in the Finder window. Unlike the Show Info window (apple-i), it updates dynamically as you select and item or items. No, choosing a bunch of files at once won't show all their previews in the inspector.

As far as changing which files open with which app, select the file, and you can either control (or right) click and go to the "Open with..." option, or to change it permanently, use the inspector or the show info window to change that item's default app. You have a choice in that case to change all files of that type to use another application.

What happens is that each application that creates or sometimes modifies the file will claim ownership of that file. So if you create a .jpeg in Photoshop, Photoshop will assume that you want to open it next time in Photoshop too. This sometimes happens with images you download from the internet or receive from others as well.

[edit: added info and fixed a couple typos]
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

You have a few options, actually for full size viewing.

1. You can use Column view with its preview pane to show each file's preview image as you select it.

I think BuonRotto hit it on the head. The easiest way to preview images with no clicking is to select the column view.

• Reply 4 of 4
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Michael Grey

I think BuonRotto hit it on the head. The easiest way to preview images with no clicking is to select the column view.

gotta love visuals (your photoshop arrows) I spend a good portion of my day circling and adding arrows to 3D renders that point out problems to modelers, usually russian modelers who dont understand my writen explanations. Visuals always work best (my only explanation for getting a kick out of this).