parallel to usb printing

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been trying to get some use out of our old (gift from relative) HP 855c Printer. We got a iMac G3 266 for my son's bday and I'm trying to get the iMac to print via the Hp. HP does not suport this printer in OS X and I don't have enuf ram anyway, so it's OS 9. We found a parallel to usb adapter and the iMac sees the cable and its driver, but I can't get it to access the printer. I've turned on "USB Printer Sharing" and can choose a printer (HP 850 is the only listing) from there. Still no can print. Chooser only shows the modem port, so I can't go that way. Any ideas? This iMac won't support an Airport card, so my wifi net won't help me.

Should I try copying an older version of chooser ( I have an OS 7.6 disc) to my system folder, one that has both modem and printer ports listed? Or would that mess with the OS 9.2.2 on the iMac?

Thans in advance.

rev

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
  • Reply 2 of 3
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Don't think it will work. I remember trying to use a usb to parallel cable when I was in OS 9 and I tried 3 different manufacturers. A belkin, startech and something else, and none of the 3 worked. It does show the cable cause the driver installed is for the cable but from then on nothing. Maybe if you really want it to work, if you have a usb wireless adapter you could put that to your computer to access the network that way. Put the printer to the network and that should work.

Just ideas. But dont just copy over the OS 7 files that wont work at all.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    hmmm, there was a company i think called stryder software that sold a usb-to-parallel adapter and drivers to make it work. they did it around when the first bondi blue imacs came out. i don't think they ever came out with an os-x compatible version, and i think they got bought by someone else... but i cannot recall the name of the new company.

you could try googling around and see if you pick up the trail.