Problems with New 23" Cinema Displays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just got my 2 New 23" Cinema Displays today. They are looking beautiful.

Only one thing concerns me.

If you use a dark background, open a finder window (with a white background) and leave it open for 3-4 minutes, it seems that after closing the finder window again this is "burned in".

I see this faint silhouette of the finder window at least for 20-30 sec, fading out. After 1 minute this "ghost" picture is gone totally ...

Anyone noticed the same ???

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Didn't notice that when I tested one. But I noticed the heat. Those things get HOT. It hurts to touch them at certain poins, and the whole case is really hot. I don't know what they did to them, but that kinda sucks. My 20" oldschool cinema display isn't warm at all.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jasonljasonl Posts: 3member
    Aluminum is used in some cases (no pun intended0 to allow heat built up to escape through conduction.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jasonl

Aluminum is used in some cases (no pun intended0 to allow heat built up to escape through conduction.

new 20 inch has never been hot.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maccaroni

Didn't notice that when I tested one. But I noticed the heat. Those things get HOT. It hurts to touch them at certain poins, and the whole case is really hot. I don't know what they did to them, but that kinda sucks. My 20" oldschool cinema display isn't warm at all.

Flatpannels get warm, it is the nature of the beast, and in all of the pictures I have seen of the new displays, it looks like there is no vent openings on the back (as most other monitors would have) plus it is metal, on top of that, the besel is so small yet, all of the components (includeing a FW/USB hub) must fit, meaning that the heat generateing components are closer together than in any previous generation cinima display.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maccaroni

Didn't notice that when I tested one. But I noticed the heat. Those things get HOT. It hurts to touch them at certain poins, and the whole case is really hot.

Nah, the upper bezel of my new 23" Cinema is just warm, after hours of use. Most of the back surface is cooler than the top and only slightly warm. Perhaps the display would get warmer after lots of gaming or something, but I doubt it; I don't know if rapid pixel firing would affect the heat. I think your statement is a huge exaggeration, or you tested a defective display.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    dude, you need to take your display in, pronto. I talked to a guy about this thread at the applestore tonight, because I was buying the same display, and he said the top should only be slightly warm, and you shouldn't see any abnormalities on the screen. I felt the top of a sample model, and it was comfortably warm, not hot.

Take it in, before it catches fire or sumptin'
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I thought one of the benefits of LCD is they use less energy and so less heat??

Yes, no?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lovenrockets

I thought one of the benefits of LCD is they use less energy and so less heat??

Yes, no?

Correct. The heat given off by a Cinema Display is minor compared to what's given of by a similar size CRT.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    our problem mentioned above is known to Apple:

see http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n88343

"With some Apple LCD displays, if you leave an unchanging image (like a login screen or the same desktop picture) on the screen for a long period of time, you may see a faint remnant of the image even after a new image has replaced it. This is called "persistence"."

The image quality is superb and with the "persistence" problem, ok, we can live with that ...

BTW: our dispays get warm only, not hot !