Do i have to use Airport?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello, firstly excuse my mac ignorance i'm a windows lifer but considering a change to the dark side(or is the the light side).

I'm looking at buying an ibook and want it to work on my existing wireless network. There's alot of talk about the airport stuff but am i constrained to using this? I already have an 802.11b network card and router, am i goingto have to invest £100+ for an airport system.

thanks for any help you can give

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    No you will not have to buy an Airport Base Station. The Airport card in the iBook will work with an 802.11b/g network. I have an iBook G3 800Mhz with an Airport Card (802.11b) and it connects to my Linksys Wireless Router and my Linksys Access Point. It also connects at my Universities Cisco Aironet Wireless Points. So as long as the iBook as an Aiport Card it in, you can use any wireless network. Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more info and/or having trouble.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Cheers Buddy

I'm using a linksys network as well so all sounds promising.

I'm sure i'll be back for more advice when i've ordered my ibook.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    AirPort is simply the marketing name that Apple gave to its 802.11b hardware, just as AirPort Extreme is what they call their 802.11g implementation. Basically if equipment has the "WiFi" seal on the box, then it is supposed to interoperate with no problem.

You may have recently seen in stores certain types of wireless G routers that claim "double the speed" through "special speed boosting technology" or some such. Occasionally, this has meant that a wireless card from one company has not worked with router from a different company. The WiFi alliance has warned these manufacturers that if they keep this up they will not certify their equipment as WiFi compliant.

I have used my PowerBook on all sorts of wireless networks with nary a problem. You should have no problem either.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    The card that goes into your iBook/pBook DOES have to be the Apple card ... the base-station can be any brand.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by KingOfSomewhereHot

The card that goes into your iBook/pBook DOES have to be the Apple card ... the base-station can be any brand.

If your powerbook has a pc card slot, you could technically purchase any laptop wireless pc card and stick it in that side slot.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    I think he said he's getting an iBook... hence no PCMCIA card slot... Airport extreme is the way to go there (besides... given the option... ya really don't want that thing sticking out of a card slot anyway)
  • Reply 7 of 16
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Joey

I think he said he's getting an iBook... hence no PCMCIA card slot... Airport extreme is the way to go there (besides... given the option... ya really don't want that thing sticking out of a card slot anyway)

I wasn't sure if the 14" had a pc slot or not. Plus the poster above me made a comment about if you had a pbook you had to get airport, which is not completely correct.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Just for the heck of it tonight I tried a U.S.Robotics PCMCIA 802.11g card and if anyone does try this be careful, they don't make drivers for macs a lot of times, I got frustrated quickly in my search as well.

-Chris
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by kupan787

I wasn't sure if the 14" had a pc slot or not. Plus the poster above me made a comment about if you had a pbook you had to get airport, which is not completely correct.

Clarified ...

an iBook will ONLY use the Apple Airport Extreme Card ... it installs internally.

a pBook will ONLY use an Apple Airport Extreme Card INTERNALLY. Yes, a PCMCIA card would work in the side slot, if there are drivers. But as someone else said... why by an elegant computer and then have that crap sticking out the side
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

an iBook will ONLY use the Apple Airport Extreme Card ... it installs internally.

Actually the iBook will take the Apple Airport or the Apple Airport Extreme. We do not know which iBook he is getting. It could be one off ebay or something and be a G3. In that case he will have trouble finding an Apple Airport card since they no longer make them. I'm just saying all the options base on his remark:

Quote:

I'm looking at buying an ibook and want it to work on my existing wireless network

• Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by mig.gentry

Cheers Buddy

I'm using a linksys network as well so all sounds promising.

I'm sure i'll be back for more advice when i've ordered my ibook.

To clarify: If you are getting an iBook G3, I assume you'd be purchasing a used unit. Wi-Fi will require an Airport card (Wi-Fi standard 802.11b). This is a discontinued item, and can be difficult to find on the market. It's a good idea to be sure the system you are buying comes with an Airport card installed.

If you are getting an iBook G4, Wi-Fi will require an Airport Extreme card Wi-Fi standard 802.11g). This is something that can be easily added after purchase. The cards are readily available.

These are both internally installed Wi-Fi cards, as the iBook does not have a pc card slot. The should work with any Wi-Fi certified base station.

Apple is DEFINITELY the light side! Once you've switched, there is no way you'll see it any other way. Join us!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I have just placed my order for a new G4 14" iBook(3days til delivery). I've decided to by an airport card off ebay to save myself a few pounds. But one last question: Will it invalidate the warranty if i install it myself?? What about if i later want to upgrade the memory(from 256)? Not alot i can do about it because i need to wireless network it, but should i then lie about who insatlled it should i have a problem?
  • Reply 13 of 16
    You are allowed to install Airport cards and RAM without affecting the warranty.

Instructions will come with the computer ... it's easy.

PS... you did figure out that that computer will require an "Airport Extreme" card, right ? ... wouldn't want you to eBay an old version The older version (without "extreme") won't fit.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Thanks again

I've fitted RAM to other laptops so shouldn't be too difficult, just didn't want to invalidate my precious warranty.

I'm well aware of the need for an extreme card, at 3times the price of older airport i wish i wasn't
  • Reply 15 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    The big plus of the Airport card is that your iBook has an internal antenna wrapped all the way around the screen, which the Airport card can take full advantage of. The reception is consequently way better than you would get with the little dongly-bud antennas that PC cards use. I would conservatively estimate my iBookG3's WiFi range to be at least twice that of my colleague's PC laptop with PC card (she couldn't get signal at all when I was at 3/4 bars).

Makes the iBook really fabulous for no-hassle wardriving.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    o, and it's the light side, literally. Apple's signature color is pure white, dell's and others? black. hahahahaha

anyways, good luck!