running windows on a mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello everyone,

I really dont know much about apples, i only know they seem beatiful, that's why i want to buy one and use. But i dont want it with macosX.

Is there any way to use a g4 or g5 as an ordinary pc with windows?

P.S... If it is a silly question, please excuse me but i said i'm really new to apples.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sinn

Hello everyone,

I really dont know much about apples, i only know they seem beatiful, that's why i want to buy one and use. But i dont want it with macosX.

Is there any way to use a g4 or g5 as an ordinary pc with windows?

P.S... If it is a silly question, please excuse me but i said i'm really new to apples.

you don't realize it but you probably will love osx after useing it for a while. as for windows software there is a program called virtual pc but it will mot be updated untill late november (as M$ announced another xpsp2 delay yesterday)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sinnsinn Posts: 3member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

you don't realize it but you probably will love osx after useing it for a while. as for windows software there is a program called virtual pc but it will mot be updated untill late november (as M$ announced another xpsp2 delay yesterday)

i can love it but for business purposes i have to use a pc, i dont want to carry two laptops

anyway if it is the same microsoft product that you mentioned. I used virtual pc on my machine before, but i think it needs much more development period then we can use its virtual system as our primary system.

and if this is the only way to use a mac like a pc, i think i will only love them from a distance.

thanks for your reply.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    What tasks are you required to do in XP that you believe you can't do in OS X?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Sinn, it seems that you have been erroneously told, as it is often told to many, that PCs are 'good for business', and Macs are 'for creative people'.

That simply isn't the case.

There's not a single aspect of OS X that isn't usefull in a serious business environment. From its elegant user interface to its Unix core, OS X surpasses XP in many ways. OS X is simply the best OS on the market (and against Linux, too) today. PC Magazine rated OS X 10.3 as the Best Operating System of the Year.

You might want to reconsider all other generalities you ever thought of the Mac as a platform, because almost all are false. Macs can't share files with Windows? False. Macs don't have any software? False. Macs can't function on a PC network? They function better than most PCs on a network, for christsake!

But to further clarify, no, you can't natively run Windows on a Mac. You can, however, run Yellowdog Linux.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    joeyjoey Posts: 236member
    The whole reason I went with a Mac was to use the OS (the hardware was nice too... but it was OS X that I was more interested in). My iBook sits on a little end table in my livingroom with a wireless connection. It's almost always open and on so I can browse the web, catch up on stuff for work, etc. I would have been happier if Apple had ported over OSX to the x86 platform... but I won't revisit that saga.

There are very few business needs that can't be met on a Mac (unless you're working with proprietary software developed just for the PC). Basically... you have Office for the Mac (which covers what 90% of the people out there refer to as "Business Applications").

Maybe if you could give us an idea of what you need to do (specifically) we could give you a bit more info.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    There are other buseness apps for the mac, MYOB has mac stuff, like accountedge, as well as INTUIT, who makes quicken/turbotax, they have tons-o-stuff for the mac. there is a wholke list of apple productivity software here.

and a full list of popular mac apps . (of course, this just scratches the surface but you get the idea) here
  • Reply 7 of 7
    sinnsinn Posts: 3member
    hi again,

i think i touched a sensitive point of you mac users

Actually i especially use web design and development softwares, all of adobe's and macromedia's. like photoshop cs, imageready cs , dreamweaver mx, flash..... i know all of them are working on macs too.

My concerns come actually from inexperience, i've never used a macintosh, but you couraged me to have one, i think i'll try both together...

After these responses i read lots of documents about software availabilities, performance tests and i saw hilarious fights between macos and otheros users on some forums.

I believe that before seeing that two different os's with my own eyes i cannot come to a result. Now i use a compaq laptop it's pretty good, i was planning to have a 17" sonyVGN-A117 or 17"powerbook g4

(both seems really nice). I have a hard time to decide.

Thanks for your posts.