Is gaming consistent on OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was wondering how well games run on Mac OS X. I don't mean run as in GPU/CPU/memory usage but stability. Do they crash often? Do new releases of OS X "break" games? Can Panther play earlier releases such as Max Payne from 2002 quite happily?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yes, OS updates usually don't effect a games performance or stability. Sometimes there are small bugs that are introduced with a 10.3.x update, although those are usually fixed in the next point update.

None of the games I own have ever crashed on me, with the repeated exception of Quake3, which was fixed later with a patch.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    Following on from my question (I'm a Windows user looking to switch), do the Mac versions of games generally have added features - i.e. bugs are fixed, higher screen resolutions, etc.?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Gaming is a big part of my computing experience but not that big. You should see the shelf I've got here - full of PC games that I've bought and hardly ever played. One good point about the Mac selection being limited is that you are only getting games worth playing and you have time to finish them before the next one arrives. Just having a scan through my boxes, there are probably 80% of the titles available on Mac anyway. Except Medieval Total War which has been sitting here since Christmas and I've never opened the box yet! The other titles that aren't on Mac are on Xbox.

But I do want to start learning to program in Cocoa. That is my main reason for wanting a Mac. I like the consistency of the applications and UI. Not like Windows which is a mish-mash of ugly stuff.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    as long as you know going into it that the Mac platform isn't a gaming platform, you'll be fine.

i've found that Mac games tend to be pretty decent ports of their windows versions. however, one last word of caution. not all Mac games will network play with their PC counterpart. in my experience, most do, but not all.

other than that though? man, i used PC's for years, yet i haven't powered on my Windows rig downstairs in over 6 months. and this is my baby that i'd built by hand. i just have no desire to use Windows anymore. in any case, YMMV, but it was a move i was happy to make.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Just another quick question - as most Windows games use a 2-button mouse, how do Mac games get around this with a 1-button mouse?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

Just another quick question - as most Windows games use a 2-button mouse, how do Mac games get around this with a 1-button mouse?

You buy a two button mouse for your Mac. Yes, it works as good, if not better, than on Windows. Yes, Apple ships one button mice, but that's no indicator of anything. I'd recommend one of Logitech's MX series mice. Those are truly marketed towards gaming, but even if you don't game, they're nice mice to use (unless you're left handed, they're not very ambidextrous mice)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I'd recommend one of Logitech's MX series mice. Those are truly marketed towards gaming, but even if you don't game, they're nice mice to use (unless you're left handed, they're not very ambidextrous mice)

Actually Logitech's MX310 is a ambidextrous mouse and I haven't used my beautiful Apple Wireless Mouse ever since buying the MX310 - it simply works better. But because Bluetooth is handy, that gorgeous white piece of art is now reserved for travelling.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I spoke too soon. Don't let your Mac sleep or close your Mac notebook without quitting Starcraft first. When you wake up from sleep, you'll have difficulties and horrible screen glitches. At least I did.

I spent the weekend playing, and I can't get over how much smoother it is than it was with OS 9.

This was my first gaming weekend in three years.

Tonton - you don't need to quit. Just minimize your game using Apple-m and leave it in the dock. Works like a charm then.