Design student needing advice on ibook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi there... I'm new to the forum but not new to macs... I've used them many tims especially when dealing with design and multimedia.. but i still dont know enough about them...

so here goes...

I want to purchase an apple laptop but.. seing as i'm a student... I cant afford a powerbook... so i plan to go for an ibook. it will make my life much easier considering apple is industry standard here in australia and the course i will be enrolling is uses nothing but macs...

this is what i'm hoping to purchase (latest realese in Aus)...

1GHz PowerPC G4

512K L2 cache @ 1GHz

14-inch TFT Display

1024x768 resolution

256MB DDR266 SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA drive

Combo Drive

ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

32MB DDR video memory

AirPort Extreme ready

i'd also like to add an extra 256mb to it...

the programs i will be using will be things such as photoshop, illustrator, quark... etc... basically print and web design applications...

would this be sufficient for the time being..?

I appreciate your help in advance...

Tina

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    For those tasks, I would recomend getting the fastest (RPM) hdd that is availibe as well as ram, but DO NOT buy apple ram, go to crucial and get it there, max it out, or get as much as you can afford, 512 is a minimum for those tasks now-a-days, but a gig should keep the system happy for a while.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    ibook911ibook911 Posts: 607member
    I use the Creative Suite applications on my new ibook (with performance stats identical to yours). It handles them fine IMHO. Photoshop opens a lot quicker on my ibook than on my P4 XP machine.

I do have 768MB RAM. I would say that 512MB RAM would get you by, but that it would be a bit low. If possible, get a 512 stick from Crucial.com. I would personally like to get a gig stick for mine someday, but I'm not going to spend $400 US on it. The 512 stick was $115 with tax for me.